21.5.13

paleo mayo and deviled eggs

I started making mayonnaise a few months ago and I can't believe I didn't try it sooner. I just couldn't justify spending the time to make it when it was only going to last a few days. But, first off, it really only takes an active five minutes. And, secondly, it actually lasts until the expiration date of your eggs so if you buy eggs with a date a month out, your mayo will last that long too. 

And it is so easy! You basically just need an egg, an acidic liquid, light tasting olive oil, and patience. For the acid, you can use lemon juice or vinegar. The Hubs isn't a fan of foods that are super lemony so I usually use cider vinegar. Also, make sure you use light tasting olive oil. The first time I made mayo, I used extra-virgin and it had a really strong EVOO taste. I didn't even use it. 

I also have had a major craving for deviled eggs! This was my first time making them with my homemade mayonnaise and they were awesome. I thought with all the summer barbecues coming up, this would be a simple recipe to share. I just need to work on my egg peeling skills before my eggs are aesthetically pleasing enough to bring to a party. I am actually eating these for breakfast this week.

PALEO MAYONNAISE

1 egg
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 c. light-tasting olive oil
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt

In a blender, break egg and add vinegar. Allow the egg and vinegar to sit for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 2 hours so that they come to room temperature. 

Add the mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup of oil to the blender. Blend until the ingredients are combined. Now incorporate the rest of the oil by pouring it very very slowly while the blender is still on. Try and get the  smallest drizzle you can. This will take about 3 minutes. Resist every urge to dump "the rest" in. 

Now you can make salad dressings, sauces, and, of course, deviled eggs!

PALEO DEVILED EGGS
makes 24 halves

12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 tsp. dijion mustard
1/3 c. paleo mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. minced shallot
salt and pepper, to taste
paprika

Slice each egg in half, lengthwise. Remove yolks and place in mixing bowl. Arrange egg whites on a plate or platter. 

Add mustard, mayo, shallot, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mash yolks with a fork and make sure to mix ingredients well. Spoon yolk mixture into egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum these look delish! I love making Paleo mayo, so I'll have to give these a try sometime soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deviled eggs are so good! These definitely look healthier than regular ones!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.