12.3.13

paleo sausage and sweet potato casserole

I made this recipe from PaleOMG two weeks ago and it was delicious! I ate it all week for breakfast and thought about making it again this week but I didn't want to eat it so much that I get sick of it.

I love making casseroles. They are great for when you have company but they are also nice to make at the beginning of a work week to have an instant breakfast every morning. I decided to make a casserole on Sunday and I found myself using the same ingredients as the recipe from PaleOMG. I guess my tummy just really needed my sausage, sweet potato, and spinach fix. However, this tastes pretty different to me.

This is so easy and you can certainly substitute different meat or vegetables depending on what you like. It is the perfect way to start your day and it makes me want to eat well all day long. 
PALEO SAUSAGE AND SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
serves 4-5

1 lb. Italian pork sausage
1 small sweet potato, diced
1 small onion, diced
salt and pepper
3 large handfuls of spinach
8 eggs
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground paprika

Preheat oven to 375ºF. 

Crumble sausage into large skillet and cook until no longer pink. Remove from pan and put in large bowl to cool.

Using leftover pork fat, add potato and onion to skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about five minutes. (If extra fat is needed, add a bit of olive oil before added the veggies.) Cover to cook potatoes all the way through. Add spinach and let wilt. 

Add to large bowl and mix with sausage. Allow to cool for a bit. 

Meanwhile, beat eggs in a separate bowl. Add garlic powder and paprika and mix in. Add to large bowl with meat and veggies. Mix well.  Spread into 9x13 casserole dish. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until center is cooked through. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.