19.2.13

warm bacon and spinach salad

A few weeks ago, while at my grandfather's, I had a delicious spinach salad with warm bacon vinaigrette. I thought about how awesome this was as a paleo-friendly lunch and vowed to recreate it.

I actually had meant to peel hard-boiled eggs for this as well but I am the worst egg peeler ever. Or maybe I am the worst hard-boiled egg cook ever? I don't know. Something I do is just terribly wrong and the eggs come apart and the peel comes off in teeny tiny pieces. Needless to say, after just one egg, I quit. But if you are en expert in the field of egg-peeling and you want a salad that is a bit heartier, add some eggs. 

The original salad also had the raw mushrooms but I love them cooked. However, if you want this to be a bit quicker you can skip sauteeing them. You could even keep the shallots raw for that matter. Make it your own!

WARM BACON AND SPINACH SALAD
serves 2

for the salad:
6 slices of bacon
8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
1/2 Tbsp. EVOO
2 shallots, sliced
5 oz. baby spinach

for the vinaigrette:
2 Tbsp. reserved bacon fat
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. raw honey
1/2 tsp. Dijion mustard
salt and pepper, to taste

In a skillet, fry bacon until crispy. Set aside to cool a bit. While bacon is cooking, heat EVOO in seperate pan. Cook mushrooms until soft for about 5 minutes. 

In bacon fat, saute shallots for about a minute. Use a slotted spoon and set aside. 

Crumble bacon onto spinach. Add mushrooms and shallots. 

Combine all ingredients for vinaigrette. Toss with salad. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Nom nom paleo has a post on how to make the perfect hard boiled eggs! And this looks amazing. I love warm spinach salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmmmmmmmm! & my hard boiled egg making/peeling skills are in need of some major help as well. :/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.