3.1.13

the whole30 january challenge, update 1

{I will be doing the Whole30 during the month of January. You can read more about the Whole30 and my January challenge here.}

I am only two days in and my body wants sugar like RIGHT NOW! It is taking everything I have not to run to the grocery and gorge myself on cookies. My grandmother sent the Hubs and I home with a tray full of cookies on Saturday. I had planned to save them for when Chrissy and Devin came on Monday but instead we housed them on Sunday. And I ate the majority of them. I lost count but I probably had about fifteen cookies throughout the day. This was a bad idea because, after all the festivities over the last month and those cookies, my body literally expects sugar after every meal (even breakfast.) Tuesday night, I seriously couldn't concentrate - cookies were all I could think about.

Hello, my name is Morgan and I am addicted to sugar.

By the time yesterday rolled around, I had a full-fledged headache. It got really bad by the end of yesterday and I didn't even make it to CrossFit. I am pretty sure it was from my sugar, bread, and pasta detox and not from eating too little. Just in case, though, I will eat a bit more today.

On a better note: The Hubs and I went to the movies on Tuesday night and he ordered a popcorn and soda. I used to hate movie theater popcorn but he turned me onto it so now I walk into the movies and expect it. Movies are the only place I have a little bit of soda as well. (I don't have it at home and I don't order it when I am out.) I didn't have a bite or a sip though. The Hubs even went to the bathroom and left the popcorn in my lap and I didn't waiver. If that isn't willpower, I don't know what is. Next time, the Hubs suggested I pack a snack in my purse like almonds.

Anyways, I thought each week, I would share what I have been eating in case you are in need of some inspiration. (You can also follow along on instagram and twitter as well.)

DAY ONE - Tuesday, January 1st 

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, grilled asparagus (to detox my liver from the night before), and rooibos vanilla tea

Lunch: salad with grilled chicken, arugula, spinach, red onion, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and homemade vinaigrette

Dinner: no bean chili over mashed cauliflower

DAY TWO - Wednesday, January 2nd

Breakfast: paleo pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon apples and rooibos vanilla tea

Lunch: leftover pork chops with apples and leeks, sweet potatoes

Snack: rooibos vanilla tea

Dinner: burger wrapped in lettuce topped with a tomato and jalapeno mustard, broccoli, and a spinach and arugula salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and homemade vinaigrette

How is your Whole30 going? Do you have any good Paleo meal ideas?

{If you are doing the Whole30 and wrote a blog post, don't forget to link up at some point over the next few days. I will have a link up available next few Thursdays as well.}

13 comments:

  1. you should start drinking chia as a snack. it's so great with some hibiscus tea. i have mine with sour cherry juice because of inflammation, my husband drinks his with either lime or OJ. anywho, it's a very satisfying snack and super easy to make.

    god i sound like such a hippie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the tip. do you just put it in your drink?

      Delete
    2. you can do so much with it ! one way to eat it is to stir 1 T into a cup of water (we make a half gallon at a time). stir vigorously, let it stand for a few minutes, stir again, let it sit ... etc. eventually it looks like a cross between frog eggs and tapioca. you can drink it with a splash of milk, juice, etc, or just straight. it's LOADED with protein, fiber, and omega 3s, and is great for your brain, body, skin, hair, life expectancy ... you name it.

      here's a really cheesy blog post about it -- Benefits of chia

      Delete
  2. last night, i ate a bowl of honey nut chex for dinner....


    i think i need to join this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like need to do this but i just don't know if i can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bet you can. didn't you give up sugar for a few weeks back in the fall?

      Delete
  4. I spy with my little eye a paleo recipe! I've done this challenge before and loved how I felt afterwards. Once I settle back into Paris, I am thinking of doing it again :)

    Milsters

    (http://www.littlepiecesoflight.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had no idea about this until I saw your post (where have I been?!)! Thanks for the knowledge. =)
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great challenge! I'm the same way with soda. I never drink it at home or order it at restaurants, but there's just something about a sip here and there while having popcorn at the movies. Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! Your menu so far is amazing. Happy New Year by the way :)

    I'm also starting a 30-day (food) challenge. Your post just motivated me!! We can do it! It's only 30 days.

    Stephanie
    http://sharelovealways.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! i love popcorn but i also love salads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those look soooo good...

    *Renee

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.