8.1.13

curried butternut squash soup

While traveling for work, I went to the Big Pickle in St. Michael's for lunch. I had been there this past summer with Tanya and we had the most awesome fried pickles and Bloody Mary's. Since I was going to be in the area, I knew I had to stop in.

However, knowing that getting just the fried pickles would not be a balanced meal, I decided on their curried butternut squash soup for an accompaniment. The soup was absolutely delicious and I vowed to recreate it at home. Although this is not an exact replica, it is so good and a great replacement.
CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
serves 4-6

1 butternut squash
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 large carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. sweet curry powder
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. cumin
dash of cayenne pepper
salt
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk
32 oz. chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350° F. Cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place, flesh-side down, on a baking sheet. Roast for about 40 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool enough until you are able to handle it with your hands. Peel off skin and chop.

In a pot, bring remaining olive oil to medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, and garlic. Saute until onions are tender. Add coconut milk and chicken stock and stir. Add spices and butternut squash. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until butternut squash is tender. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delightful. Totally making that sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m gonna try this, I´m a soup lover so I adore this post! :)

    http://marilovescupcakes.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! I'm keeping this one on my list of food to make. Squash is my favourite, and I love soup.

    I just did a pretty cool Vegan Tuesday today if you're interested :)

    http://sharelovealways.blogspot.ca/2013/01/vegan-tuesday-we-have-winner.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.