30.1.13

being sick on paleo

On Sunday, when I found out I had the flu, the doctor suggested the usual BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.) She also suggested some yogurt. I kind of panicked.

I only had three full days left of the Whole30, I didn't want to ruin it in my last few days. Plus, the chances of my body reacting badly to grains and dairy were pretty high since I had been without them for twenty-seven days and I didn't want to add anything bad to how I was already feeling.

So, although the want for plain toast on late Monday morning was there, I opted to keep up with the Whole30 (and maybe even kick this bug faster with nutritious food.)

Since eating strict paleo, I have found that skipping meals, eating a little later than scheduled, or eating smaller meals, no longer leaves me with low blood sugar, nausea, and incredible stomach pains. So I wasn't worried to just have tea for breakfast on Monday. The Hubs brought home a rotisserie chicken for me around lunch and helped me make a quick homemade soup since I barely had the strength to cut an onion. We sautéed onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and fresh ginger, added some chicken broth and shredded chicken, and then simmered for about twenty minutes. So, for the past few days, I have stuck with fruits (probably more than I would usually have on the Whole30), applesauce, and homemade soup. And when I feel a bit hungrier, I make a little meal with leftovers from the fridge. No more Saltines and Lipton Noodle soup for me!

What makes me the most upset is that I am missing the Eastern Shore Affiliate Challenge I was supposed to do with my CrossFit box's team on Saturday. I was not an athlete in high school so just signing up for it was way out of my comfort zone. But the doctor said that if I push myself this week, I have a high chance of relapsing and I certainly don't want to get sick again and I can't really afford to miss more work. Besides, the cough medicine the doctor gave me makes me extremely drowsy and when I don't take it I have terrible coughing fits - not exactly conducive to exercising. So no CrossFit for me this week and no ESAC. Boo!

What do you eat when you are sick? 

2 comments:

  1. Lemon ginger tea with a little honey is my go to for any ailment. When I'm congested I love to eat spicy foods because I'm convinced they help clear my sinuses. Glad you're feeling a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure if you were talking stomach-y bug flu or cold/flu, but my doc has always said that if it's a stomach bug, then chicken or chicken soup is too much fat for a messed-up tummy. When you have the stomach flu, you don't need any more fat to speed up the digestion process. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.