20.11.12

paleo pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon apples

I have professed my love of all things autumn a few times here. One of the reasons are the fall flavors, especially pumpkin and apple. So when I decided to try my hand at pumpkin pancakes, it felt only natural to add apples as well.

I thought about using almond flour for this but I was recently listening to a Paleo podcast that talked about reducing the amount of nuts that we eat, especially if we are trying to lose weight. Nuts should be  stocked more for emergency food. Besides, there is plenty of protein of these because of the eggs.

That being said, these are fluffy but have a more eggy consistency. However, the pumpkin adds a bit of smoothness to them. I really enjoyed these and, along with eating them for breakfast for the week, I found myself eating them for dinner a few nights as well. They were great for keeping me full until lunch and were perfect for after my CrossFit workouts at night.

Even if you are not doing Paleo, you will find these to be a very filling and yummy breakfast.

PALEO PUMPKIN PANCAKES WITH CINNAMON APPLES
makes about 15 medium-sized pancakes

for the pancakes:
8 eggs, beaten
1 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. coconut oil (or butter)

for the apples:
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Gala apples, chopped
2 tsp. cinnamon

Whisk all the ingredients for the pancakes in a bowl except for the coconut oil. Heat oil in skillet on medium high. Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop batter into the oil. Cook until edges start to bubble and bottom is golden brown and then flip pancake.

Meanwhile, heat smaller skillet on medium. Melt butter, then add apples and cinnamon. Cook for about three minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are softer but not mushy.

Top pancakes with apples. You can also add butter or maple syrup.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. yummm.... i have 3 really tiny pumpkins that i want to do something with, but i have never tackled extracting the meat from a raw pumpkin.... if i do, pancakes would be delicious!



    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you need to make sure they are actual pumpkins you can eat. some taste icky. i used to eat fresh pumpkin all the time in france but luckily they have them already cut up there - there is just a little peeling you need to do.

      Delete
  2. Every time I've put almond flour in them they turn out like crap, so good call on skipping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing! I've made them several times now. I love how there is no almond or coconut flour. Also, they are very moist so you don't need much syrup for serving. You can definitely taste that there are a lot of eggs in it, so I add a bit more seasoning to them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.