27.11.12

carrot and parsnip latkes

The summer between my junior and senior year of college, I moved in with my then-boyfriend, now the Hubs, because of an internship. I spent a lot of time cooking, loving having my own kitchen and time to cook. I remember finding a recipe for carrot and parsnip latkes and wondering what in the world a parsnip is.

Instead of looking it up before I left for the grocery store, I figured I would just find it in the produce aisle. After searching high and low, I finally decide to ask someone. Since there wasn't a sales associate in sight, I honed in on someone that looked like they cooked and asked her. She helped me find them and I realized they just looked like white carrots.

The Hubs ate them and said he liked them.  I think since that was early on in our relationship, he was just being nice. This time he was not as enthusiastic.

But I really like them. They are good on their own but I like putting an egg over easy on top for a little protein.

Since I do not have grater on my food processor, I grated them by hand which took significantly longer. If you have a food processor with that attachment, use it. Also, if you need to serve them all at once, heat the oven to 300ยบ F and place the latkes on a baking sheet once you are finished cooking them to keep them warm.

CARROT AND PARSNIP LATKES
makes about 15

1 lb. parsnips, peeled and grated
1 lb. carrots, peeled and grated
2 c. chopped scallions
3 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. sea salt
pinch of nutmeg
5 - 6 Tbsp. olive oil

Place the grated vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in the scallions, eggs, salt, and nutmeg. 

In a large skillet, heat about two tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop the latke mix into the skillet. Use a spatula to gently flatten them to about 1/2 inch thick. Cook for about three minutes or until bottoms are browned.

Flip over gently and cook for about two more minutes until browned. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Continue making the latkes until all are finished, adding in more oil as needed.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. oh my gaaaaahhhhhh I am so excited to make latkes next week! you got the jump :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it bad that my stomach just grumbled? Best lookin' paleo recipe ever! And anything tastes delicious with an egg cracked over it! Your husband doesn't know what he is missing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a ton of root vegetables in my CSA that I wasn't sure what to do with so I made this recipe with beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots, etc. The beet and potato ones were my favorite once I got past the crazy magenta color. I love the idea of an egg over top. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.