22.10.12

sarah from sunlight after rain

Hello! My name is Sarah and I blog over at sunlight after rain. I am not a well-traveled person. I wish I was, but Maryland (woot-woot East Coast!) has been my home for 10 years and Massachusetts was my home for ten years before that. Not too exciting if you ask me - both states are Atlantic-ocean boarders with too many fields and trees and not enough, ahem, fun as California.

If I was in California with Morgan right now (I wish I was! So much better than being in class!) I would be dragging the poor girl around the state like a roller coaster. I would be at Disney Land and wine country and Haight-Ashbury and I would never sleep. I would be too excited that I was in another time zone and that there was a different ocean right next to me. 
To me, that is the beauty of travelling. You travel for hours and hours and the water looks the same but it totally isn't. Isn't that such a fascinating concept? It's the same water that you just left but at the same time, it's not
Weirdly fascinating.

California is famous for lots of things but I think one of the things that sticks out to me in a big way is it's beaches. They're so different (in a good way!) from the East Coast beaches!

So, without further ado, here are some of the beaches I would visit if I had the chance to go see a different ocean. 

Santa Monica
The pier. Ocean Avenue. The film festival. Perfect sunsets.
Santa Monica is the perfect hippy/hipster town and my theatre major side would probably die a thousand deaths from excitement on this beach. Listening to guitars on a beach while there is a ferris wheel right next to me? Ocean perfection.

Venice Beach
This beach is perfect for everything! You can hike, bike, board, and surf all within a few block radius. Guitars, shops and all of the other deliciously stereotypical Californian things lie along the boardwalk of this 'Muscle Beach'. You can't get bored here. It's impossible.
And did I mention it was the setting for Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet? If a Shakespearean movie picks a beach for a setting you know it's too good to be true!

Malibu
Oh, I'd die and go to heaven if I ever got to go to Malibu. Mainly because all I'd ever do is star-search. If there a beach is pretty enough to be home to celebrities then you know it's perfect for me as well. 

See how perfect those beaches look? I love the east coast, but the beaches are not as wonderful over here!
Where would you go if you were in California?

3 comments:

  1. ahhh those beaches look amazing! You are making me wish for warm weather! If I were in California, I would visit my family in the Bay area :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for having me, lady! Can't wait to hear about your trip - it looks like you're having SO MUCH FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. california is incredible! i went last november to visit one of my best friends in berkeley and we dallied in napa one day... in love! i need to get back and sample more zinfandel!

    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.