30.10.12

paleo and crossfit update, part two

You can read my first update here.

CrossFit: I haven't been able to go as often as would like to because of travel for work, but it is amazing, with the few times I have gone in, how much progress I have made. I realized this during a class a few weeks ago: during my beginning class, I couldn't get myself up on the rings. We were doing the rings again and I said out loud that I would not be able to do it. To my surprise, I could get up there and stay up there for a decent amount of time. 

CrossFit was canceled yesterday because of the hurricane and I haven't been in about two weeks because of travel and vacation so I am sure I am my next class is going to tough. But, now that travel for work is slowing down, I can't wait to see how much progress I will make when I can go two or three times a week. 

One thing I am noticing though, is that timed trials with running involved, slow me down. So I am starting to run on my own to build up my cardiovascular endurance. I am not a runner so this isn't super fun for me but I am starting out slow, doing the Couch-to-5k running plan.

I am quitting my membership at the Y to save a bit of money since CrossFit is certainly not inexpensive (but totally worth it!) On the days I am not doing CrossFit, I plan to run and do Pilates on my own.

Paleo: This has fell by the wayside the past two weeks. I was in areas for work that literally only had one fast food restaurant in the town so, if I wanted to eat lunch, that was it. And then on vacation, I would eat Paleo when I could but if I wanted to try something that wasn't Paleo, I would. I am looking to get back on track this week, though.

What I have done is A LOT of Paleo reading:

1. Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen - I actually checked this one out from the library but I probably will buy it at some point. I made a few recipes from it, some true to the recipe, some I adapted, all very solid. This is great for no-fuss meals. I usually look through cookbooks for inspiration and less for recipes that I am going to follow piece by piece and this was certainly inspiring. I was also surprised by the pure volume of recipes.

2. It Starts With Food - If you are just starting out, this is an awesome book. It goes through a lot of the science of Paleo but you can always just read the summaries at the end of those chapters if you aren't that interested in that. It also has a few recipes, meal planning information, and information on the Whole 30. I haven't done the Whole 30 yet (I plan to do it in January) and this will definitely be my number one resource for that. The line I keep remembering whenever I want to reach for a pieces of bread is "abs are made in the kitchen."

3. Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat - I love this book! There are so many good recipes in here that I am dying to try. I also like how she puts personal tidbits in throughout the book and is incredibly non-judgy when talking about food. I felt like I was reading less of a Paleo cookbook and more of just a cookbook from someone who loves food. 

I have a party to go to in two Fridays and we are supposed to bring an appetizer. I want to try to find a Paleo-friendly appetizer to bring that non-Paleo people will still want to eat. Any ideas?

Have you tried out CrossFit or Paleo? Have you come across any good resources?

{image via my pinterest}

4 comments:

  1. YAY so glad you're doing C25k :) it's really great, once you push through week 3 - that's where I had serious problems. I love how they up the intervals every few sessions because, just like with your CrossFit experience, you recognize right away that you've just done something you couldn't have done even two weeks ago. Can't wait to hear about how it's going! (btw, are you doing it from a podcast?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope i just wear a watch with a stopwatch and watch my time. i didn't even know there was a podcast.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I love that you're having such a good experience with paleo. I've fallen off the bandwagon over the past few weeks (Halloween, staying cooped up with this storm, etc.) but I am getting back on slowly and want to start running with it now! There is a CrossFit group on campus but it's all guys (read: 5 guys that do it professionally and don't really want to teach an unexperienced girl how to do it) so I think running will have to be the best for me right now....but you inspire me that you do it! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.