25.9.12

slow cooker asian-style short ribs

A little over a year ago, my friend, Ashley, made this while I was over at her house. It was delicious and I knew it was something the Hubs would enjoy. She sent me her recipe but I forgot about it until I was looking for new Paleo ideas.

This is a great weeknight meal. Just chop your vegetables the night before and you can assemble quickly in the morning. 

Ashley served this with rice and, if you are not doing Paleo, that works perfectly well. I am not really a fan of cauliflower rice that is popular with Paleo so I made pureed cauliflower and it soaked up the juices wonderfully. If you are able to eat potatoes, I think this would be yummy over mashed potatoes as well.

I used raw honey for this recipe since I am doing Paleo but regular honey is fine. I also cheated with soy sauce but if you are doing Paleo you should try and use tamari or, even better, liquid aminos.

SLOW COOKER ASIAN-STYLE SHORT RIBS
serves 4

4 carrots, chopped in inch sized pieces
2 leeks, rinsed and chopped
3 lb. bone-in beef short ribs
salt and pepper
1/2 c. reduced sodium beef broth
1/3 c. sherry
3 Tbsp. raw honey 
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. chopped scallions

Arrange carrots and leeks on bottom of slow cooker. Season ribs with salt and pepper and place over vegetables. Whisk together broth, sherry, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Pour over ribs. Cook on low for 8 hours. 

While still hot, stir in cilantro and scallions. Serve over pureed cauliflower, rice, or mashed potatoes. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow this feels like forever ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um yum!!! You could also make the mashed cauliflower with it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.