4.9.12

baba g

When I was in high school, there were a group of friends that I had who had eclectic taste in food. These friends were not picky and, so, we were pretty adventurous when it came to trying new things. However, our default was usually Mediterranean food. We frequently ordered hummus and baba ghannoush to share. We ate it so much that someone in the group coined baba ghannoush "baba g" and we forever referred to the dish as that.

I started making baba g myself sometime after college since there weren't any places I knew of in Salisbury that had it on the menu. I had this random Mediterranean cookbook that I acquired, discovered the recipe, and I still have not strayed from it. The recipe is simple and always reliable.

This is great with flatbread or pita chips but since I have been trying to stick to Paleo, I made paleo crackers with almonds. You can find the recipe I used here.
BABA GHANNOUSH
recipe from Tastes of the Mediterranean

2 eggplants
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tahini
pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
sea salt, to taste
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 400 º F. Pierce eggplant with a fork and bake in a roasting tin for an hour until very soft and wrinkled. 

Place in colander over a bowl to drain off any juices and leave for 30 minutes until cool. 

Peel skin from eggplant, chop the flesh, and place in food processor with garlic, cumin, lemon juice, tahini, cayenne, and olive oil. Process until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and parsley. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had friends with adventurous taste when I was younger--thankfully, I encountered them later in life ;) I added this recipe to my ever-growing list of must makes! happy almost Wednesday! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.