30.8.12

paleo and crossfit update

A few of you asked me for a Paleo and/or Crossfit update so I figured I could do it in one post. 

CrossFit: The morning I posted this, my back went out. I hurt it back in March and it would give me problems about once a month but it was bareable. However, this time, I decided not to go to CrossFit and finally called a chiropractor. He told me I couldn't exercise for a few weeks so I had to wait until the next "on-ramp" (beginners) class.  Well, I went to my trial class (with the seasoned crossfitters) about three weeks ago and I just finished up my beginners class yesterday. I love it! I feel like I have had some of the best workouts of my life. I am also one of those people who gets bored easily so I love that you will only repeat a workout of the day (WOD) every three months. 

Another thing that has really encouraged me is the atmosphere. When I first walked in, I was a little intimidated and thought "what am I doing here?" There were big weights and bars everywhere and very athletic looking people. (I was not an athlete in high school or college so, if you were, this may not be as intimidating for you.) Although there is a bit of competition in the air, everyone is very supportive and there to motivate you when you think you just can't go any further. I am sure every gym is different but I love all the people at mine. 

I am still keeping up with Pilates and I think they are a good fit together. I will do CrossFit on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays or Saturdays and then Pilates on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Paleo: I feel great eating this way. I have so much more energy and I don't feel myself going into that afternoon slump. I have pretty much stopped going through the local drive-through coffee place a few times a week which is better calorie and cash-wise. And I have given up rice, pasta and grains. Pasta and bread really effects me the most. I had a calzone on Sunday for lunch and I could literally feel my lids drooping more and more with every bite I took. I am really trying to stay away from sugar as well. Every so often I eat some dark chocolate to curb cravings but a banana usually works. And really, I don't think I could get through CrossFit eating poorly. I can tell the difference in what I can do on days I eat well and days I chomp down a cheesesteak sub. 

But I am also realistic. I love pizza so, every so often, I am going to have a slice of pizza but I will make sure I have a salad or something to go with it so I don't eat half the pizza (and fall into a subsequent coma.) If I treat myself to sushi one night, then I make sure that the next day I am not gorging on mac and cheese. And every so often, when I crave it, I will have some quinoa with dinner. I also thought giving up cheese would be hard but I will have a bit here and there but not with every meal.

I really thought this would be difficult because I am not a huge meat eater but I try to base things I make off of meals I know I already like and make modifications as needed. You will definitely be seeing some recipes.

Have you made and new fitness or health changes lately?

{image via my pinterest}

2 comments:

  1. I am on day 4 of the whole 30 and this business is not easy. Totally detoxing from my diet of sweet treats! Good for you, Morgan. You're killing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I eat Paleo as well and we love it! Well, we eat Paleo in moderation, so like 80% of the time and then allow ourselves to indulge in non-Paleo foods occassionally on the weekends/when we travel...you feel so much better when you cut the sugar/grains/crap out of your diet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.