24.7.12

lemon butter seared scallops with magda squash

When I discovered that the Tuesday farmer's market where I pick up my CSA box had a seafood vendor, I got really excited. He carries oysters, clams, shrimp, and, one of my favorite foods, scallops. And it really exhibits one of the reasons you should buy local - his prices aren't as high as you would find in the grocery store. Now, on my budget, I still can't afford to visit every week but the Hubs and I picked a Tuesday night a few weeks ago for a date night in and I picked up a pound of scallops.

After I picked up my scallops, I walked around to browse and I came across a vegetable I had never seen before - Magda squash. It is a Mediterranean vegetable known for its nutty flavor. It is more expensive than your average squash (at least it is here) but I was intrigued and thought it would be  a good compliment to our scallops.

This is a perfect meal for summer. It is nice and light leaving you satisfied but not overly stuffed.
LEMON BUTTER SEARED SCALLOPS WITH MAGDA SQUASH
serves 2

1 lb. fresh scallops
kosher salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 lemon, zested
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 Tbsp. butter

1 magda squash, sliced
EVOO
kosher salt
pepper

Brush squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a grill pan or grill until soft. 

Meanwhile, pat scallops dry. Season with salt. Heat pan on high heat and wait for pan to become very hot. Add butter and let it just melt. Add scallops, garlic, lemon zest and juice. Cook the scallops until they are golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on both sides depending on size. (The scallops should still be somewhat translucent in the middle because they will continue to cook.) Remove scallops from pan and pour extra sauce on top. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Magda squash is go good! It makes great baba ganoush. (sp?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! This is making my mouth water! Scallops are a beautiful (read: yummy) thing! Thanks for sharing that recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your information, ok, i’ll bookmark this site and return here in next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious...i love lemon anything! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.