3.7.12

csa box: green israeli couscous

The Hubs is a huge snap pea fan and I am not. So, of course, the week that they showed up in my csa box, the Hubs was out of town. I thought about freezing them and saving them for later but I decided to give them a try. I added feta to cut out some of the bite that I don't necessarily enjoy and the marriage of the feta with the bite of the snap peas worked out wonderfully.

This can be served at warm temperature or cold. It is great to make a big batch so you have it for quick and easy lunches for the week.
GREEN ISRAELI COUSCOUS
serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a side

Salad:
1 1/2 c. dry Israeli couscous
1 large handful of sugar snap peas
1 c. of mache sprouts, loosely packed
2 oz. chunk of feta, crumbled

Dressing:
3/4 c. EVOO
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
sea salt and pepper, to taste

Cook couscous according to directions on container. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, peel away and discard the "seams" of the snap peas. Blanch snap peas in boiling water, allowing to cook for about two minutes. Strain peas in a colander and rinse with very cold water to shop cooking. (You can put them in ice water but I am too lazy to do this.) Once peas are cool enough to touch, remove peas from pods and slice pods into small bite-size pieces. 

In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, combine couscous, peas and pods, sprouts, and feta. Add salad dressing and toss to coat. You may not use all of the dressing. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and a perfect July 4th side dish! Loce your blog, your newest follower.X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm this looks delicious! I'm following you now as well.

    Hope you stop by my blog and check out a fun little giveaway I'm putting on!

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.