10.7.12

csa box: arugula and cheddar tart

I love a good quiche or vegetable tart. It is great for breakfast or for lunch with a small salad. When I found that arugula was in my csa box, I knew I would make a basic tart.

What I like about tarts and quiche is that you can be very creative. Your basic recipe consists of some sort of crust, eggs, cream (or milk or half and half), and cheese. Then you just add the veggies that you want. I had sharp cheddar on hand and I added onion for flavor.
ARUGULA AND CHEDDAR TART
serves 6 - 8

1 small onion, chopped
1 bunch of arugula, tough ends removed
7 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. cream
2 c. freshly grated sharp cheddar
6 sheets phyllo dough
olive oil, for brushing phyllo and for cooking vegetables

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add arugula and cook until just wilted. Set aside. 

Combine eggs and cream in a bowl and whisk together. Fold in one cup and a half of cheddar. Set aside.

Place sheets of phyllo dough around tart pan, overlapping and molding to the pan to form a crust. As you place each piece in, brush with a little bit of olive to keep the phyllo from drying out.  Spread cooked veggies evenly on top of phyllo dough. Pour egg mixture evenly over veggies. Trim edges of phyllo dough if there is any way above or over edges of pan so they don't burn. 

Place tart pan on baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for about 25 minutes or until eggs are almost set. Add remaining cheddar on top and cook until melted and slightly crispy. 

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. i love making quiche, so easy and so delicious. i always forget about arugula though!

    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks delicious. I was thinking of doing a quiche to get rid of all the kale I've been getting in my csa. Now I just might have to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am huge tarts fan as well and this one looks scrumptious:) Have a great Tuesday, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.