17.7.12

challah french toast

A few weekends ago, when my friend Alissa visited, I had a lot of leftover challah bread. Knowing that one of her favorite breakfast items is French toast, I decided to make Challah French Toast that Sunday morning. 

French toast is so versatile. I thought about making a strawberry syrup or stuffing it with Nutella. But with such good bread as a base and some really sweet fresh strawberries, I figured simple was better. 

A great French toast can be eaten with absolutely nothing on top of it. If you can eat it with your fingers like a sandwich, it is perfect. And that is just how this is. I did add a little bit of butter and confectioners sugar the first time but I ate the leftovers plain while running out the door to work.
CHALLAH FRENCH TOAST
serves 6-8

8 slices challah bread, sliced 1 inch thick and halved
1 c. milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 - 4 Tbsp. butter
optional: confectioners sugar, strawberries, syrup

Combine milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Whisk together. 

Melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet on medium. Soak four pieces of bread in the egg mixture, 30 seconds on each side. Wipe off excess liquid and place in pan. Cook until both sides are browned for about five minutes. Repeat with the rest of the bread adding more butter to the pan if needed. 

Add confectioners sugar or whatever toppings you like. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I could eat this for dinner. Love challah bread for french toast. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!! Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! Have a great weekend girl!

    Macey
    laidbackdays.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.