12.6.12

greek salad with chicken

I love feta! I actually can sit and eat it straight out of the container. (And I have been known to do this, secretly, late at night, standing right at the fridge.) The salty, tangy taste is absolute perfection. So, naturally, I love Greek salads. 

I actually learned to marinade chicken in yogurt just a few years ago. I had always marinated it in oil and some sort of acidic liquid like vinegar or lemon juice. At my first job, right out of college, I had a coworker from Turkey. I told him how much I loved eating kebab while I loved in Bordeaux and I was always dumbfounded on how moist the chicken was. He simply said "yogurt." That is how his mother had always made it. 

This meal is perfect for summer. There is no cooking involved except to grill the chicken. And honestly, grill a little bit of extra chicken. You can use the leftovers for a chicken pita for lunch.
GREEK SALAD WITH CHICKEN
serves 4

for the marinade:
1 c. plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes

for the dressing:
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
dried oregano, to taste
1/3 c. EVOO

for the salad:
romaine lettuce, chopped
tomato, chopped
green pepper, chopped
cucumber, chopped
feta, crumbled

Whisk together first five ingredients for marinade. Add chicken and mix to combine. Marinade for three hours. 

Heat grill (or grill pan.) Thread chicken on skewers, making sure to wipe off excess yogurt. Grill until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. 

Meanwhile, add first four ingredients for dressing in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in EVOO until blended. 

Add romaine to plate. Top with tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber, and feta. Top with chicken. Add dressing (you will have some leftover.) Serve with pita or flat bread. 

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I could eat Greek salad every single day, there is something about that combination of veggies and feta that makes me happy! Bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait until I can eat feta again because I love a good greek salad! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.