26.6.12

csa box: pistou mashed potatoes

This was my first CSA inspired recipe. I came home with red skin potatoes and basil and I immediately wanted to mix them together. That is what I am really enjoying - putting together foods I wouldn't have thought to before. 

Pistou is almost like the French pesto. Traditionally, it is made with a mortar and pestle but I went the quick route and used a food processor. And also, I do not own a mortar and pestle. You may not use all the pistou in this recipe. Just add until you have the right flavoring. You can use the leftover pistou on fish or chicken. 
PISTOU MASHED POTATOES
serves 4, as a side

2 lbs. red skin potatoes, cut into similar sized pieces
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 1/2 c. basil, torn into pieces
1/4 c. EVOO

Add potatoes to a pot of salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, add garlic, salt, and basil to food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly add in olive oil and blend until emulsified. 

Drain potatoes and then add back to pot. Mash with potato masher. Add a little bit of pistou at a time, mashing to incorporate, until desired taste is achieved. 

Enjoy!

(See another pistou recipe here.) 

2 comments:

  1. This looks like something the hubs and I would love. I may have to pick up some potatoes to put our basil to a use other than homemade pesto! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.