8.5.12

yogurt multigrain pancakes with strawberry sauce

I love a good stack of fluffy pancakes. In college, my friend, Kathy, used to make us pancakes with berries inside of them. She really didn't know how to cook much at the time but she made some of the best pancakes so that was her job every so often - to make us pancakes on weekends. This is a healthier version of our college pancakes, dedicated to her.

I love the idea of a healthier wheat or multigrain pancake but I feel like a lot of times they end up dense and too far from the comforting pancakes that I grew up with. However, I found a recipe for yogurt multigrain pancakes from one of my favorite food blogs about a year ago and, I have to say, I may enjoy them more than the classic pancake. The original recipe call for the addition of blueberries but, this time, I had some beautiful strawberries on hand so I made a strawberry sauce.

YOGURT MULTIGRAIN PANCAKES WITH STRAWBERRY SAUCE
makes 12 four inch pancakes
adapted from here

2 eggs
1 c. plain Greek yogurt
4 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. butter, plus more for buttering skillet
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 c. rye flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. table salt
8 oz. strawberries, chopped
1/4 c. good syrup
1 Tbsp. lemon juice


Melt half of butter. Remove from heat and stir in other half of butter until melted. 

Whisk egg and yogurt together in medium bowl. Whisk in melted butter, lemon zest, and vanilla. In another small bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until dry ingredients are moistened. 

Preheat oven to 200ยบ F and have baking sheet ready (to keep pancakes warm.)

Heat skillet to to medium. Melt a pat of butter in skillet. Ladle batter into skillet, keeping enough space in between pancakes. When pancakes are dry around edges and bubbles start to form on top, after about 3 minutes, flip pancakes over and cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer pancakes to warm in the oven as you cook other pancakes.

Meanwhile, warm strawberries in a separate pan for about two minutes. Add syrup and lemon juice and simmer until desired consistency is achieved.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! I have about 3 lbs of strawberries at home (Why I buy produce at Costco? Always a mistake...) that I need to use up and this will be on my list!
    Katie
    Athomewhenimwithyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.