3.4.12

better turkey meatloaf

I grew up hating meatloaf. My mom's meatloaf was dry and tasteless and it was probably my least favorite meal.

But one day in college, my roommates (who also disliked meatloaf) and I randomly decided to try a turkey meatloaf recipe. It came out so moist and flavorful, we were sold. Ever since then, I had been wanting to try and make turkey meatloaf again.

I like using ground turkey because is much healthier than your standard ground beef but does not lack flavor.

BETTER TURKEY MEATLOAF
serves 4
recipe adapted from here

1 onion, diced
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. ketchup
1 lb. ground turkey
handful parsley, chopped
3/4 c. panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c. water
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In pan, heat oil two tablespoons of oil over medium-high. Add onions and a pinch of salt and chili flakes. Mix well and cook until onions are caramelized. Add two cloves of garlic and cook for one minute. Add balsamic and ketchup, mix well and cook for about two minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.

In mixing bowl, combine turkey, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, remaining garlic, and olive oil. Moisten with water and mix again. Add half of cooled sauce to mixture and let sit for thirty minutes. Preheat oven to 375° F, form meat mixture into a loaf on a baking sheet. Spread remaining sauce over top and spread evenly and bake for 35 - 40 minutes. 

I served along side garlic mashed cauliflower.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, this looks like the perfect comfort food! I think I might try this with veggie ground "beef." I'm not a vegetarian, but for some reason, cannot get it together enough to cook with real meat. I'm thinking it'll still taste as good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! You're tempting me...meatloaf is one of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! I am planning to cook an easter meal for my guy and this just might work. I'd also love to see your recipe for garlic mashed cauliflower!

    http://hipsandhangers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't keep track of that recipe while making it but i boiled the cauliflower with smashed garlic cloves, strained, smashed and mixed with a mixer and then added sour cream to make it creamy.

      Delete
  4. Ohh I totally need to try your recipe. It sounds super delicious:) Have a great day, dear. Muah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meatloaf with mashed potatoes! The real deal is good too but i might have to give turkey a try.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.