18.4.12

best foot forward

Sometimes, I feel inadequate. I read all these blogs and these bloggers have these great jobs, weddings, marriages, and kids along with having successful blogs. They travel and live in cities where they go to cool coffee shops and wear cool clothes. They go to fun blogging events and are asked to write for magazines and trendy companies.

And here I am. Living in Salisbury. Inundated with student loans and car payments that squash my dreams to travel and wear cool clothes.  I have a job that I enjoy but it isn't my dream job and I am not quite sure if I will ever have my dream job because of where I live. 

But more than all that - those bloggers just seem to have it all together. ALL together. 

It is funny how things work out. I started writing this post before I read a post by E from E Tells Tales. Her blog is one of the first blogs I started reading and she really does seem to have it all together. She has a sweet baby, a beautiful Etsy shop, and an awesome blog to boot. But in that post, she writes about how she is just like you and me. She writes about how her readers have made comments about her perfect life and her "big" blog but she stresses that she still has moments where she feels awkward and small (like writing to an author she admires.)

Something clicked with me after reading that. I have always wanted my blog to be a place where people can go and see happy things that get them through the day. And so, I put my best foot forward. I am honest but, in an effort not to put a bunch of negativity out there, I may not be as authentic in my feelings and issues (if that even makes sense.) And maybe one of my readers feels the same way about me - that I have it all together. But I don't.

I always write about things to help others. And maybe some things that I deal with can help other people. Those posts, on other blogs, definitely help me. 

I will not go out there all at once but those authentic these-are-my-feelings posts are coming. I hope that we can help each other through those times when we don't have it all together.

Do you ever feel this way?

{image via here}

8 comments:

  1. I think that blogging has become a bit like Facebook in the respect that you only share what you want to so its obviously all the good things. I don't think anyone's life is as perfect as they make it out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some people's lives looks fabulous because they are INDEED fabulous -- mostly that's due to money. they can afford gorgeous clothes, high-end furniture, incredible apartments, maybe even a stylist ... not to mention child care. of course, there are the lucky ones that are truly happy -- their lives are filled with love and that spills into their writing.

    but, like Christin said, most people only share the good stuff. i know several 'known' bloggers personally, and i can say without a doubt that i do not envy them. they blog at the expense of their personal lives, and as a result are truly lonely people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Well said. And Salisbury isn't bad :) For the record, you do come across as perfectly put together. My day is always brightened when I stop by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, come to New York! :) No, but in all seriousness, I've definitely felt that way too. I constantly see bloggers (especially moms) with FT jobs, kids, family life, gorgeous homes, and I'm like "How!? How, I ask!?" but I think that's what a blog is. A little bit of the dream life. It's an escape from the day to day and writing and sharing about the things you truly love. I'm sure every blogger out there has their problems, but it's nice to pretend you have it all together! But I also love authenticity (just like your blog.:) So I say, continue being honest! We're here to support you! And don't feel alone. :) We've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of your honesty in this post. This was absolutely beautifully written. And FYI, you have it together much more than you think you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mos def. I think that a lot of bloggers tend to live in some type of dream world where they can "work" all day and take pictures of macarons and "style" their wares. It's not really reality for most of us, though. My blog is like the little engine that could...when he has time. :) Just keep on keepin' on and try to take the best of what the other blogs offer without totally drinking the Kool-Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your blog, it's always a bright spot in my day! I think we all naturally compare ourselves to others but at the end of the day we all started blogging because it's fun and a great way to share ideas, connect with new people, etc. I have to agree with everyone else, you're much more put together than you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morgan, this was fantastic. I think you've got a good head on your shoulders about this stuff. So many times I see bloggers swing dangerously between one or the other--they try too hard to either be authentic or they try to hard to show the good parts of their life.

    It's hard to walk the line between being authentic/complaining.

    Or sharing the "good stuff"/showing off.

    But I know you do what you do well. Again, good thoughts here.

    -E

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.