20.3.12

steak sandwich with french cucumber salad

I am not a huge meat eater. When the Hubs isn't home, I eat mostly (or all) vegetarian. But there are times when I try to make a meal just for the Hubs. This meal was for him (and I really enjoyed it too.) He really likes beef and cucumbers. So I created a steak sandwich inspired by a French dip. For the cucumbers, I went with a dressing that had less vinegar since the Hubs is not really fond of vinegar.

This steak sandwich can be made with many different cuts. Just find something that is conducive to cutting into strips.

For most of this recipe, I didn't use measurements. Everyone likes their sandwiches a different way, more cheese, more meat, etc. So build your sandwich the way you see fit.

STEAK SANDWICH
canola oil
red onion, sliced
preferred cut of beef
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
beef broth
garlic cloves, crushed
crushed red pepper, to taste
horseradish sauce (see recipe below)
crusty bread or rolls
provolone cheese

Heat a little bit of canola oil in pan. Cook onions until desired tenderness.

Heat beef broth in a pan with garlic and red pepper.

Meanwhile, season steak with salt and pepper. Cook steak on a grill or grill pan until middle is somewhat pink. Let sit for a few minutes and then slice. Add to beef broth for a minute or two.

Spread horseradish sauce on rolls and top with meat, onions, and cheese. Put under broiler to melt cheese.

Use the remaining beef broth for an au jus.

HORSERADISH SAUCE - Mix 1 Tbsp. sour cream, 1/2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish, and 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard in a small bowl.

FRENCH CUCUMBER SALAD
1 cucumber, cut lengthwise and sliced
2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
pinch of salt

Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pour over cucumber.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome. I am DEFINITELY trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My husband used to own several cheese steak shops but I would hope he'd like this version. I always eat vegetarian when he's away as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.