27.3.12

poached egg and asparagus salad with shallot vinaigrette

This salad was actually inspired by the salad I had at Blue Talon Bistro when the Hubs and I visited Williamsburg a few months back. This is great for a lighter lunch but is still so filling because of the egg. I plan to make this many more times with asparagus coming in season.

You don't have to follow this recipe exactly. I used low-sodium turkey bacon to make this meal a bit healthier (and I actualy prefer it) but you can absolutely use regular bacon to crumble over top. I also used a grill pan to grill the asparagus but a grill works just as well or, if you don't have either, you could always roast the asparagus. Just be careful with the amount of oil you use.

POACHED EGG AND ASPARAGUS SALAD
serves 2

1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
6 slices of turkey bacon, cooked
4 handfuls mixed salad greens
4 Tbs grapeseed oil
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 tsp. dijion mustard
1 small shallot, minced
small chunk of parmesan
2 eggs

Place asparagus in a grill pan. Cook until tender but still a bit crunchy, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Cut into 1 inch pieces.

Meanwhile, cook the turkey bacon in a skillet until crispy. Let cool and then slice into lardons.

While asparagus and bacon are cooking, make the vinaigrette. Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, and shallots. Set aside.

Poach eggs. (I am not really good at the water swirl method so I have a metal pan specifically for poaching eggs. You could even poached your eggs in the microwave.)

While the eggs are cooking, toss aspragus and mixed greens in vinaigrette. You may not need all of the dressing. Divide between two plates. Sprinkle each plate with bacon and then add shaved parmesan. Top each plate with an egg. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. GOOD CALL on the asparagus + egg salad ! it's that time of year, isn't it !

    though i'm a little skeptical about the turkey bacon ... is it really as good as the piggie stuff ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly, i like it better but i am strange so just try actual bacon if you prefer that.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh this looks so good....now if only I could figure out how to poach an egg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I love shallot vinaigrette

    xx

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! But I am a terrible egg poacher, maybe I'll have to re-try it for this salad!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.