21.2.12

crock pot pulled pork

This is super easy. As in so easy, I almost didn't post it on the blog. What? I don't always make my own barbeque sauce? Sometimes I just get it from a bottle? What?

But seriously, there are days when I don't have time to whip up a fab meal. The crockpot is a great appliance to have - I have had mine since college and it is still kicking. And pretty much anything I make in there tastes like I have been slaving all day.

Pulled pork is one of my favorite things so the Hubs and I decided to make this for dinner instead of fighting the crowds on Valentines Day. You would think after housing the pound of chocolate-covered strawberries that he had gotten me that I wouldn't want to eat anything else but you are wrong. This was so delicious, the Hubs and I pretty much ate all of it. (And it smelled so good, we attacked it without waiting to make sides.)

CROCK POT PULLED PORK
serves 6 sandwiches
recipe adapted from here

2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3 lb. bone in pork shoulder
2 onions, sliced
1 12 oz. bottle cola
barbeque sauce, to taste (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
apple cider vinegar, to taste

1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Place pork in a glass dish. Rub spice mixture all over pork. Cover pork and refrigerate overnight.
2. Layer onion slices on bottom of crock pot. Place pork on top of onion slices. Pour in cola. Cover crock pot and set to low for 8 hours.
3. Remove meat from pot and let cool slightly. Pour out liquid and onions from pot and wipe clean. Once the meat is cool enough to handle, use a fork or your fingers to pull meat, discarding any bones or fat as you go. Put back in the warm crock pot.
4. Add barbeque sauce and apple cider vinegar to taste. Add a little bit at time and keep testing.
5. Serve on buns or as a platter with sides.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.