17.1.12

seared ahi tuna salad + a vegan update

The vegan update for this past week is short: I didn't even try. It was bad. I am sure I ate a few meals that were vegan but it just wasn't happening. I really can't even remember what I ate.

This week so far has started out alright and the rest of the week looks good. I have done a bit more planning and I am focusing more on making sure I am eating vegetarian and not worrying as much about the vegan thing.
~~~~
I made this salad over winter break while trying to lose a little weight before New Year's Eve. It was tasty and I felt good after eating it. I like a little bit of pink in my ahi but you are more than welcome to cook it all the way through if that freaks you out.

Also, please excuse the pictures in the last few and the next few weeks of recipe posts. Unfortunately my job is not very accommodating in letting me come home a few hours before sunset so that I can take photos in natural light. Stupid winter...

SEARED AHI TUNA SALAD
serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a first course

for the ahi:
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp fresh lime juice
2 ahi tuna steaks

for the salad:
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 c. mixed greens
1/2 c. shelled edamame

1. To make marinade for tuna, whisk together first 4 ingredients. Pour over tuna and let marinade for at least 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, and salt for dressing. Toss half of dressing with mixed greens and edamame and then add more dressing as needed. Separate greens onto plates.
3. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. When pan is hot, place marinaded tuna into skillet. Sear for two minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Remove from pan and slice into desired thickness. Place on top of salad.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Being vegan is hard and you have to be committed to doing it correctly. I was vegan for about 5 months and my doctor made me stop because get this - my cholesterol was waaay too high. I didn't even know that was possible on a vegan diet. I was eating way too many processed things like veggie burgers and chik nuggets rather than whole grains and natural proteins. I eat meat now but I still try to have a few vegetarian meals and one vegan meal per week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious, I think it might be a good way for me to get my husband to eat more salad. May have to give this a try on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salad looks delicious! I'm dying to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! Looks delicious, even though I'm a vegetarian, haha!

    Shall we follow each other? I'm following.

    WWW.FASHIONWHIT.COM

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.