20.1.12

francophile friday: my winter uniform

When I was living France in 2007, I noticed that, even on the coldest of days, French women and girls still managed to look chic. One of my favorite looks was the combination of a stylish jacket, scarf, and a pair of flat boots.

As soon as I got home, I hit the after-Christmas sales and got myself a pair of good quality flat brown riding boots. A little while later I found the coat I had been looking for - a long wool coat with a funnel collar. And, bien sûr, I had already come home with a bunch of scarves.

Although I have since bought a new coat, this still is, what I like to call, my winter uniform. Even though I am wearing different clothes underneath, if you were to only see me outside during the winter, you would pretty much think I wear the same thing everyday.

The above picture has made its rounds through the blogosphere and even on a francophile friday post a few weeks ago. But this is really what I think of when I think of my time in France and quintessential French style. But, of course, Léa Seydoux puts her own twist on a classic with a patterned coat. I am linking up with {long distance loving} for Friday's Fancies so here is my winter uniform, inspired by Léa:

1. Although Léa's coat is patterned, it is neutral enough to go with a range of outfits. This striped coat is a bit bolder as far as pattern is concerned but the muted colors make it pretty versatile.
2. I have so many scarves in a range of colors but one I do not have is in a darker blue. This cashmere wrap can be used as a scarf or a wrap.
3. I love Mulberry bags but they are a little out of my price range. This Mulberry Satchel is in a beautiful blue color that goes with anything.
4. Investing a quality shoe as classic as the riding boot is totally worth it. I have had my boots for over four years now and they are still hanging in there which i attribute to the quality! I was just lucky enough to get them for 70% off. Frye boots are some of the best boots you can buy and with the classic styles and quality they will last you for years.

Do you have a winter uniform?

10 comments:

  1. I adore this look - chic and comfortable. I'm so in need of a pair of flat boots...my next purchase!! Happy Friday ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog Morgan:) Been following for over a year and it's nice to see it doing so well!

    This is pretty close to my winter uniform, but since I live in Boston and take public transit everywhere I also wear a hat and gloves.

    http://hipsandhangers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. cardis, jeans, boots for me! and the occasional pea coat or trench

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing! Long winter wool jacket - I have the lady day coat from JCrew. Scarves and boots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog!!! I'm following you now.. if you want take a look at my new blog and follow me too!!! Let me know!! kiss :D

    http://thefashionscan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. You got Frye boots for 70% off? That's amazing. I got a pair of JCrew flat riding boots for Christmas this year, and I am so glad to have a quality pair of flat boots. I've already pieced together some great outfits.

    And I really like the blues and grays in this post. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Love love love Frye boots! Super cute super comfy super fabulous! 2. I am loving navy blue lately! And that scarf & bag are gorgeous & I would rock them both! 3. All these cute Friday Fancies with cold weather wear makes me miss the NW. Now that I'm in Georgia there is just no need for a winter coat!!! :)

    Hope you have a nice weekend!!

    http://nicolerenedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My uniform is very similar! Love the boots
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great boots :) Newly following! xoxo, e

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good in the winter is hard! I need to save my money for Frye boots, I love them and they can make such a difference to a drabby outfit!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.