10.1.12

chicken lettuce wraps + a vegan update

First, I will discuss my vegan journey. I really should call this past week "the week that wasn't vegan." It started out very well with salads and quinoa veggie sushi. But then leftover chocolate from Christmas happened. And then work happened. And ruined meals happened. And then friends happened. I was going to journal my food for you but it really isn't a good vegan example so we will just skip it. I did resist creamy dips and chocolate chip cookies at work though.

This week doesn't look much better. Work is crazy and there are a lot of free meals and parties that make it hard to be vegan but, thankfully, not vegetarian. And this isn't supposed to be an added stress in my life so I am just going to go with it and eat vegan when I can.
~~~~
Today's recipe was made in December before vegan January. It is a nice healthy and quick meal that the Hubs and I can both agree on. I love the cool crispness of the lettuce against the warm, sweet and sour mix of the chicken and veggies. You could absolutely make this with tofu to make it vegan.

CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
serves 2

3 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/8 c. sugar
1/4 c. warm water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. hot mustard
1 tsp. hot chili sauce
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 c. water chestnuts, chopped
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 - 5 iceberg lettuce leaves

1. Heat oil and sauté chicken breasts for about 4 minutes on each side until done. Remove from pan and let cool.
2. Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add soy sauce, vinegar, oil, mustard, chili sauce, and garlic. Whisk.
3. Chop chicken to the same size as veggies.
4. Add water chestnuts, mushrooms, and onions to pan and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add chicken. Add sauce and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. With a slotted spoon, add chicken and veggies on top of lettuce leaves. Add a little bit of sauce on top. Wrap like a taco.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And don't get down about messing up the "vegan" thing. Happens to the best of us. Just keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh, chocolate and free food at work are the bane of my existence; so hard to follow any type of nutritional regimen.

    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i make these with tofu all the time and i love them! i am a vegetarian, but would have a very hard time being vegan. i love me some cheese way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good, and something different for our dinners! I really appreciate the honesty with which you are approaching this challenge, and your willingness to share the journey with us all!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.