1.11.11

three bean chili

Chili is definitely one of those great comfort foods and, with the way the weather has been lately, it was definitely time to make a big pot of it. Since the Hubs is out of town and hates beans, I thought I would make an old college standby that my friends and I used to make on cold weekends. This chili has three different beans in it, including garbanzo beans which you don't normally see in chilies. But my friend, Alissa, loves them so we used to throw them in. This is a great vegetarian meal and can even be vegan if you don't top it with cheese and sour cream like I did.

I made this on a weeknight so I didn't have as much time to simmer it but we used to let it simmer for a few hours. The longer you have the better but it was definitely still yummy even after thirty minutes of simmering.

THREE BEAN CHILI
serves 4-5

1 Tbsp of EVOO
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 c chicken or vegetable stock
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can black beans
1 14 oz can light red kidney beans
1 14 oz can garbanzo beans
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder (I used medium hot)
optional: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions

1. Over medium, heat oil. Add onion, peppers, and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and beans. Stir to combine.
2. Add oregano, cumin, and chili powder and stir. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes but the longer the better.
3. Top with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Im going to send this recipe over to my Balazs. He loves chili and I bet he will try your recipe this weeeknd. Muah, sunshine.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.