29.11.11

sweet potato biscuits

I bought two sweet potatoes that I had forgotten about. I knew we would rarely be around during the holiday and I hate when food goes to waste. So I called up my MIL and told her I was going to attempt homemade sweet potato biscuits for our Thanksgiving meal.

Although, I love to cook I am not a great baker so I was surprised that these turned out so well. In fact, straight out of the oven, these were DELICIOUS. Flaky and light, they were everything a good biscuit should be. I baked them the day before Thanksgiving and, although they were still good, they weren't as good as the day before. So I would suggest baking the day you are going to eat them, even if you make the dough the day before.

SWEET POTATO BISCUIT
makes 16 biscuits
adapted from here

for puree:
2 large sweet potatoes
course salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. good maple syrup

for biscuits:
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading and shaping
4 Tbsp. light brown sugar
5 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus extra for melting
2/3 c. buttermilk

1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 2-inch chunks. In large saucepan, cover potatoes with water. Bring to boil. Cook until tender for about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Puree potatoes in food processor with salt, pepper, butter, and maple syrup.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut butter into mixture until it resembles a course meal. (I didn't have a pastry blender so I just used my hands.) In small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups sweet potato puree and buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture until combined (do not overmix.)
3. Put dough on lightly floured surface. Knead gently until dough is combined but do not over-knead. If dough is too sticky, add a little flour. Shape into a disk and pat to even 1-inch thickness. With 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits as close together as possible. Gather scraps and repeat. (Do not use scraps more than once.)
4. Preheat oven to 425˚ with rack on lower shelf. Butter two 8-inch cake pans. Arrange biscuits in pans. Brush with melted butter. Bake until golden, rotating once, for 20 to 24 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. these look delicious!

    ian loves biscuits, so definitely want to try this recipe!

    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.