There is a local restaurant that has a great mushroom and brie soup and I vowed when the weather got chillier that I would try and recreate it. This soup turned out great and was very satisfying. I served it with a slice of fresh multigrain bread bread, drizzled with olive oil, garlic salt and toasted.
MUSHROOM AND BRIE SOUP
8 oz of double cream brie
1 c sherry cooking wine
1 Tbsp of unsalted butter
8 oz. baby bella (crimini) mushrooms
1/4 c. shallots, minced
1 Tbsp wheat flour
2 c low sodium beef broth
1 c half and half
1/4 c Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Trim rind off of brie and tear into 2 inch pieces. Set aside.
2. In small saucepan, reduce sherry over medium-high to 1/2 cup. Set aside.
3. In medium stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, shallots, and lemon juice and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir until flour is fully incorporated.
4. Return mixture to heat and add beef broth and sherry. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
5. Add brie, stirring until cheese is melted. Add half and half and continue to simmer without boiling for 5 minutes.
6. After adding to bowls, top with parsley.