8.11.11

goat cheese and spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms

I used to really dislike mushrooms. They were one of my top three most icky vegetables. But I remember the day I started to like them. One of the first days I was in France, my new friend, Nezia, made me an African meal. She made mushrooms as a side and cooked them in oil and A LOT of salt. And they were delicious. I soon learned to appreciate mushrooms - even if they weren't drenched in oil and salt. But lately, I can't get enough. I CRAVE them.

This is a great vegetarian meal. I was going to make a side to go with this but I was feeling lazy that day and decided not too. I am glad I didn't because I didn't need anything else. This is a delicious and filling main course.

GOAT CHEESE AND SPINACH STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
serves 2

1/2 c. EVOO
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
2 large portobello mushrooms
1/3 10 oz. package of frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed of excess water
4 oz. baby bella/crimini mushrooms
2 tsp. EVOO
1/3 c. onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. panko bread crumbs
1/3 5 oz. package of soft goat cheese, crumbled
for topping: more parmesan

Whisk together first four ingredients in a medium bowl for marinade. Cut stems from portobello mushrooms and put in food processor. Place portobellos in container, gill side up. Pour marinade over them. Let marinade for about 30 minutes.

Add baby bella mushrooms to food processor with stems and coarsely chop. Heat oil in skillet over medium high. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add garlic and sauté for 10 seconds. Add chopped mushrooms and season with salt. Cook for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cool.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place marinated mushrooms on a oiled baking sheet, gill side down. Roast until beginning to soften for about 15 minutes.

Add spinach, parmesan, and breadcrumbs to mushroom mixture and stir. Fold in goat cheese and season with salt and pepper.

Turn roasted mushrooms over so the gill side is up. Divide the filling between the mushrooms. Sprinkle with desired amount of parmesan cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese begins to brown, about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I absolutely love mushrooms. Funny you grew to like them. If you can believe it, I used to feel that way about rice! Except I wish I never converted to a rice lover because we all know it's not as healthy as mushrooms! Anyway, this recipe looks great. I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crapness, these look amazing! I'm totally making this for myself for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum yum, sounds delicious!

    i think a lot of people are weirded out by mushroom texture; it is difficult to come to terms with. the earthy taste usually wins them over though!

    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing meatless Monday's, so thisnis a great recipe tomtry. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these looks seriously amazing, I’m drooling all over the screen here, I have to tray this receipt ASAP, I bet it taste as good at it looks, it doesn’t seem so complicated to prepare, I will give it a tray! You have a lovely blog and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.