27.10.11

visiting colonial williamsburg

For our anniversary, the Hubs is taking me to Colonial Williamsburg. Since our anniversary was during travel season for work for me, we are going the first weekend in December which is great since I have always wanted to go around Christmastime.

I have always loved Williamsburg, ever since I was little. In elementary school, colonial historical fiction was my favorite genre of books. I was even a colonial person for Halloween in fifth grade. My then-stepmom made my costume and I even wore a little bonnet. I wish I had a picture to share with you.

I first visited Williamsburg in 4th grade with my grandparents on my mom's side. I remember since I missed a few days of school, my teacher made me keep a journal while I was there. I talked about that trip for years - not because of Williamsburg, but because I looked out the window while we were having breakfast in Shoney's and watched a car flip over on the highway outside. (Oh and the cheese shopwas pretty memorable too!)

The same grandparents took me back a year later since the Felicity American Girl experience we were going to go to the last time had been canceled. I learned how to serve tea, make a little bag of potpourri to put around my neck, and how to play rolling the hoop. I also fell in love with two necklaces in one of the shops - one blue pearl and one pink pearl. I vowed that one day I would save all my money and come back and buy both.

In middle school, the grandparents on my dad's side took me. I remember eating at King Arm's Tavern and staying at a place with a sauna in it. Also, I had my own room with a king sized bed!

The last time I went was with my two aunts during my sophomore year of high school. We had so much fun. I think my favorite experience, though, was going to Shield's Tavern. We paid one price per person and were served a seven-course meal. It was delicious and listening to Shield's banter all night was entertaining.

So, although I have been to Williamsburg a few times, I haven't really been as an adult. I guess that is why I am writing this post - I need your help. I somewhat have of an idea of what I want to do but I would love to hear your tips and ideas. Most likely, we are going to go down on a Wednesday night and stay through Sunday morning so we will really have three full days to do stuff. We already know we are staying at Marriott's Manor Club so we don't need help with that.

Here are a few things I am pretty sure we want to do (but I am open to suggestions):
1. Walk around colonial Williamsburg.
2. Eat lunch at the Cheese Shop.
3. Eat dinner at one of the taverns. (Maybe they will have another dinner special?)
4. Do lunch and a wine tasting at Williamsburg Winery.
5. Relax.

So what do you suggest? Do you have a favorite tavern? Are there any really great places to eat? Are there any events at the college?

{image via here}

4 comments:

  1. Bahaha. Yeah, I might have a couple pointers for you.

    First of all, the Manor Club is nice. We used to stay there whenever we visited Rami/my parents visited me at college since my dad has the Marriott time share, and I worked there as a marketing intern in the summer of 2008. Some of the buildings are much nicer/better kept than others, so if it looks shoddy complain and they'll put you in one of the newer digs.

    Are you going the weekend of Dec. 2-4? If so, Sunday night is Grand Illumination. You should definitely stick around for it - it's the "official" Christmas lighting in the colonial area, and there are fireworks by the Governor's Palace. Head down to that area by 1 or 2 PM (the fireworks are at dusk/5:15ish), because EVERYONE in Hampton Roads comes to town.

    Walk around the Old Campus of WM. The Crim Dell Bridge is always voted the #1 most romantic spot on US college campuses and has some cute legends surrounding it.

    Get coffee and breakfast at Aroma's on Prince George Street, visit Mermaid Books (in a basement cellar in the same strip as Aroma's). Lunch/brunch at The Blue Talon and The Cheese Shop. The 'Burg doesn't have much to offer to foodies, but The Fat Canary and Le Yaca are exceptions - even Joe recommends them. The Ford's Colony Country Club Dining Room is on the Marriott property, but it's not as good as FC or LY. I'd definitely make dinner reservations ahead of time since Grand Illumination draws a million tourists.

    Have fun! Email me if you want any more specific suggestions/tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana - awesome advice. unfortunately, i don't think we will be able to stick around for the grand illumination but i will definitely check out all the other places you mentioned.

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fabulous! That is so exciting! I hope you have a fabulous trip! I'm totally jealous!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate your sweet comment! Xo
    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a great time in Williamsburg! It's such a different and fun thing to experience!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.