30.9.11

francophile friday: france email #3

This is a continuation of my lost emails that I sent while I was living in France. You can read more about it here.

This email was sent out on September 30, 2007 - right before I gave my presentation for Middle Ages class. I used a power point presentation with words which apparently isn't allowed for this. Since I was the first student to go, after I was finished my professor said, "That was a very good presentation but you cannot have any words on your power point. But this is ok because she, you know, is foreign."

Hello Everyone,

Well I finally got through my first week of classes. My schedule isn't exactly how I wanted it but it isn't really bad. My schedule looks like this:

Tuesdays
8:30 - 10:30 Art History of the Middle Ages (discussion)
10:30 - 12:30 Art History of the Middle Ages (lecture)
1:00 - 3:30 Contemporary History (discussion)

Thursday
8:30 - 10:30 Antique Art History (discussion)
10:30 - 12:30 Antique Art History (lecture)

Friday
8:30 - 10:00 Contemporary History (lecture)

I didn't want classes on Fridays so I could travel but I still have Mondays off and if one needs to skip the lectures they can because there are about 200 people in the lecture and only the discussions are "madatory."

I didn't really do much this week and weekend because I have a French presentation on Tuesday In my Middle Ages class and it has to be in French (obviously) and 15 minutes long. I have no trouble with public speaking in English but I get extremely nervous in French and now my class is not a class full of fellow non-French speaking students. But after I humiliate myself on Tuesday, I am pretty much finished with anything hard that I need to do. For my Art History of the Middle Ages class, I have that presentation on Tuesday and then all I have to do after that is write a paper because the agreement with our school and Bordeaux is that we don't take any tests. For my Contemporary History class, I have a presentation but since I am a foreign student she only wants a presentation in front of her and on any of the subjects we discuss in class that I want. I also have to write a paper for that class on anything I want again and due whenever. For my Antique Art History, all I have to do is read the assigned readings and participate in class. I kept asking her "Are you sure you dont want me to write a paper or something?" and she kept saying no. As a foreign student you basically have to beg for work. I guess I can't complain.

Tonight I had my first african dinner. Nezia cooked chicken and beans and made and avocado an tomato salad. It was very yummy but it took us forever to make because we only have two little burners and limited cooking supplies but we managed. Ok well I have to go to bed because I have to get up tomorrow and practice my presentation.

Love,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.