20.9.11

dreaming: a rustic café


Ever since I was young, I thought it would be fun to open up a restaurant. I had different ideas over the years and some were very outlandish. One idea I had in fourth grade was to open a "theme" restaurant. Each room would have a different look. One was an under the sea room, one was an outer space room, and one was a jungle room. However, now that I am older, I realize that owning a restaurant is hard work, long hours, and very risky. And just because I love food and love to cook doesn't mean I know how to run a restaurant.

Living in Salisbury, there are some great local restaurants but options are still limited. Lately (and by lately I mean the past few years) I have been wanting to open a little café with wholesome, rustic food on a simple, seasonal menu. The decor would be a lot like two of my favorite places in Bordeaux: Karl and Pain & Compagnie. The farmhouse tables would be long and homey. Walls would be covered with rustic shelves holding fresh bread and local jams, dips, and spreads. Of course, we would have a pâtisserie selection and great espresso.

We would have breakfast and lunch Tuesday through Friday, dinner on Friday and Saturday, and brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Food would be centered around local, seasonal ingredients while still keeping the menu affordable.

This would not only be a place for people to eat but for friends to come in the afternoon for a cup of coffee or family to gather with a bottle of wine and great conversation. And most know that food can only be great when you have someone to share it with.

Have you ever thought of opening a restaurant? Are there any business dreams that you have?

5 comments:

  1. sounds pretty fantastic! i would love to have a little dessert shop where my fiance can be in charge of the coffee :) xoxo jillian:: don't miss my ayofemi jewelry giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so lovely. :) i love that the food would be seasonal. that's a great idea.

    i don't think i'd ever have the desire to open a full on restaurant. maybe a cute coffee and bread shop... but i think i'd rather open a yarn shop. hah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dream of opening a 24 hour boutique in downtown Chicago. I say follow your dreams, your restaurant concept sounds awesome. Go for it!

    xo,
    Lauren
    mildmediumhot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous vision! I could picture your little cafe while you were describing it! I say go for it, you only live once :)

    I would LOVE to own a cute little corner store filled with great clothing & lots of vinatage or I would love to have a seperate building to run an educational child care center out of. Both are just dreams but they make me smile!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should TOTALLY do it! I will be there! If you are ever in Baltimore you should check out Woodberry Kitchen. Rustic. Delicious. Heavenly. :) I love your business plans and I love Maryland businesses so if you decide to do it I will definitely spread the word around as much as I can!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.