My friend, Tanya, sent me this healthy chicken recipe. She said, "As a novice cook, I found this so easy and so flavorful." I think this is definitely going to be one of my staples in the fall and winter but I couldn't wait that long to make it. She also suggested making Spanish rice with it which I did. It was the perfect compliment. I just think this is more of a weekend dinner because of the baking time.
TANYA'S SIMPLE BAKED CHICKEN
2 Tbsp. EVOO
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
1 Tbsp. Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. old bay seasoning
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic salt, parsley, pepper and old bay. Rub the chicken breasts with half the mixture and place them in a baking dish.
3. Toss the pepper, tomato, and onion with remaining mixture. Arrange over chicken.
4. Bake 50 minutes in a preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
BROWN SPANISH RICE
2 Tbsp. EVOO
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cups of long-grain brown rice
3 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 pinch of dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat EVOO and cook onion on medium until translucent. Add rice and toast for a couple minutes, be careful not to burn.
2. Add chicken stock, tomato paste, oregano and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 - 25 minutes or until cooked through. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.