23.8.11

dishing on ice cream

When thinking about items to put on our wedding registry, pretty much everyone (websites, family members, friends, random strangers) told us to be careful not to register for things we would never use. And we really didn't - one friend told us our registry was "very practical."

The only people who told us otherwise were those sales associates at the stores where we went to register because, of course, they wanted to sell you everything and anything.

Me: I don't think we need that. [FH nods in agreement.]

Sales Associate: But you would be surprised how often you will use this and how many people really want to get it for you.

Me: What is it?

SA: It is a thingamajoo.

Me: And what does that do exactly?

SA: Well no one really knows for sure but it is said to possess magical powers...

Ok, you get the idea. There was one item in particular that everyone said to cross of your list - an ice cream maker. The website or person normally said something like this, "Don't get an ice cream maker. It will be one of those items that you will NEVER use and it will sit in a closet and collect dust until you move and finally throw it out."

Since our wedding was in October, the months following our wedding, I thought I had made the right decision. But then summer came and I realized, "I wish I had a freaking ice cream machine." During the past three months I have probably thought about making my own ice cream at least 15 times. Granted, I could be a lot fatter if I had made my own ice cream but a) I prefer frozen yogurt and b) we have driven for late night cravings at least 7 times over the past few months. In other words, I wouldn't have gotten that fat and we could have saved a lot of money. Plus, I would have had about 15 times to screw up or learn something new.

I know you can make your own ice cream without a machine but it involves having a freezer that actually has some room in it. Since it is the end of the summer, I think it may be time to search for one on sale.

What do you guys think? Do you own an ice cream machine? Would you make your own ice cream? I would love to invent some new and wild flavors...

{image from here}

6 comments:

  1. you should get one! (a maker, that is) who cares if it sits on your shelf for a while? when you bust it out it will be that much more awesome! :)
    (if you have a kitchen aid you can get an ice cream attachment. might be easier than buying the whole thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't have one but i desperately need one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have one, it was a gift, and I never use it. I really should but it's kind of a pain. I much prefer sending my husband for some fro yo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I wish I had an ice cream maker. Like you, I would love to experiment with crazy and unexpected flavors. Unfortunately, I can't see myself ever buying one. I think it's one of those things that I will just wait to get as a gift. In the meantime, Ben & Jerry's will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not own one, but I'm always so tempted when Ina breaks hers out. Of course, she probably has a legion of interns (or at least one good one) to clean it all up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need to make MAGIC ICE CREAM ! we made the basic recipe and LOVED it.

    http://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-illustrated-magic-vanilla-ice-cream-437975

    i'm sure you could sub dark chocolate could be subbed in for the white (which is added to give the ice cream firmness and body). if you want to do strawberry, wait until it is mostly frozen and then fold in the berries. make sure to soak the berries in a bit of vodka or rum, and sugar to make sure they don't get too hard.

    enjoy !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.