5.7.11

cherry clafoutis

I had been wanting to make cherry clafoutis for awhile now but I was just waiting for the summer cherries at the farmer's market. Traditionally, the pits are left in the cherries for this dish because they release a nice almond flavor. But if you are like me and are not really wild about pits in your dessert, a cherry pitter is a nice time-saver tool. I found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond that does four cherries at once for only two more dollars than the one that did one at a time.

I used a 9x13 pan this time but I think next time I may use a slightly smaller pan so it is thicker. I ate a bit at home and took the rest into work for fear I would devour the entire thing on my own.

CHERRY CLAFOUTIS
serves 8
adapted from Williams-Sonoma

4 eggs, separated
2/3 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. half & half
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. fresh cherries, pitted
1/2 tsp. lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a large rectangular baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, add egg yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar. Using a hand-held mixer, beat on medium-high for about 5 minutes. Add the flour, vanilla, and half & half. Reduce speed to low and beat until completely blended.
3. In a small bowl, using a whisk, beat the egg whites and salt for about 30 seconds. Add egg whites to batter and beat with mixer on low for about 2 minutes.
4. Preheat the baking dish in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. In a bowl, stir together cherries, remaining sugar, and lemon zest. Remove the pan from the oven, pour the cherries in the pan, making sure to spread them evenly. Top with the batter. Bake until the clafoutis is set in the middle for about 30 to 35 minutes.

Bon appétit!

7 comments:

  1. ok YUM! and great photos! i love your little teal strainer, it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely delicious. You are a great photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blue colander! Yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear - this is one of my fave go-to desserts - so simple yet chic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! definitely going to have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that looks so yummy! :D i have no clue what clafoutis is (& i'm probably pronouncing it wrong in my head) but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Looks delicious, definitely going to try it!

    http://www.badjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.