15.6.11

sun care

Since the weather is allowing for more time out in the sun, I wanted to talk about sun care. I am by no means an expert. Actually, I would think I am quite the opposite - I am still learning. But I was inspired by the post {av} did here on tanning and melanoma and how important it is so take care of your skin.

When I was younger I rarely used lotion. Of course my parents put it on me when I was really little but as I got older I would maybe put on spf 15 but normally it was spf 4. My mom is mostly Italian (I am half) so she rarely would burn and would spend her summers (she is a teacher) baking in the sun and really putting on spf 4 to attract it.

In high school, I went to tanning beds every once in awhile mainly before something like prom. In college, I did the same thing. I never thought it was a problem. I didn't go everyday like "those other girls" and I never looked weirdly orange in the middle of December. But again, I would go before galas, before my birthday, before a wedding. But I had an olive skin tone so "my skin could handle it."

Last spring when I was at my palest I started to notice sun spots on my arms and thighs. I made sure to mostly wear spf 30 all summer but I couldn't help but to tan a bit before my wedding. And it was going to be the last time. Would there ever be a time that I needed to look as good as my wedding day? Nope. So I tanned in September about two to three times a week to "maintain" my summer tan for October. The Hubs hated when I would tan so I would sneak around. And then one day I opened my eyes when I was in the booth. The purple lights accentuated my sun spots. And for the first time (and maybe this was in my head) I thought that I would smell my skin burning. I freaked and walked out mid-session. My "unlimited monthly tanning" could go ef itself.

The Hubs got a little upset that we didn't develop a fabulous tan when were in Jamaica in April since I made both of us put on spf 30 the entire time and reapply like crazy. But I would rather not have crinkly skin when we are older and I don't want to risk skin cancer, it just isn't worth it.

One thing you should make sure to have is some short of hat to cover your face. I don't always wear a hat like I should but you don't want to have wrinkles when you are older. Plus, as my ex-step-mom used to say, "you can always put make-up on your face."

You should also make sure you have a pair of sunglasses that offer UV protection. I love being able to buy a cheapo pair at Urban Outfitters to change up my style but when I am going to be out in the sun for extended period of time I try to remember to bring my Marc by Marc Jacob sunglasses that have UV protection. I actually bought them before a trip to Bermuda a few years ago and they are great. UV radiation can not only damage the skin of your eyelid but also the cornea, lens and other parts of the eye. It can also cause cataracts (which my grandmother had to get surgery for when I was little.)

Wear sunblock! And make sure you reapply! And make sure you apply your first layer 30 minutes before you go out in the sun.

I guess my point is: I am 24 and I already have sun spots and a few wrinkles around my eyes which I am convinced are mostly from tanning beds but definitely also from being neglectful in the sun. But it is never too late to start taking care of your skin. It has to make it through the rest of your fabulous life...

What sun care tips do you have?

12 comments:

  1. Amen to this post!! And that hat? I want one!! So fun!

    Happy Wednesday Dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that hat! ive finally embraced the whole pale skin thing :) so glad i gave up the tanning beds. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! it is so important!

    my skin cancer story

    thanks for sharing- and love the hat, too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you! Im all about having a healthy skin. Btw: I love your hat! Adorable:) Muah

    Ps: I’m hosting a great summer GIVEAWAY today! Don’t miss it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally not into tanning anymore and it really happened after my wedding, too. I would rather try and not damage my skin anymore and hope that I don't look too old and wrinkly when the time comes. Bring on the pale skin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to go tanning with my old roommate all the time. She was a few years older than me, also naturally pale (like me) and a big fan of bronzed skin... One day when I was helping her with her makeup I really looked at her skin close up. She looked like leather. At 27!

    I stopped tanning that summer! I still try to get as much sun as I can, just in a more controlled way, with suncare and hats!


    <3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

    ReplyDelete
  8. definitely a good post & message. my father & all his brothers have all had skin cancer at LEAST once. i have even had a rather large mole removed (preemptively). sun spots, wrinkles, & skin cancer are no joke. & you look lovely in that hat by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post! I used to not care at all about being out in the sun...now I like to make sure I have plenty of sun screen on, I reapply often, and I always ALWAYS wear lip balm with SPF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I never really thought about this too much but yeah, you do have a point. Next time I head to the beach I will make sure to bring my SPF30

    ReplyDelete
  11. My best tip is to just stay out of the sun. :) Hehe....I am not outdoors-y at all. But you've got the right idea if you just have to be out in it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.