14.6.11

orecchiette with broccoli rabe and chicken

This is one of the first recipes created from just going to the farmer's market without a recipe and creating something with the produce I had picked up and what we had at home. I had only recently tried broccoli rabe. The cafeteria at work has become a bit more inventive and I got broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and butter as a side.

Since I enjoyed it so much, when I saw it at the farmer's market I had to pick it up even though I had no idea what to do with it. This dish turned out incredibly well and there were no leftovers (which is rare considering the Hubs isn't a huge fan of pasta.)

ORECCHIETTE WITH BROCCOLI RABE AND CHICKEN
serves 4
adapted from Food and Wine

2 lbs. broccoli rabe, thick stems discarded
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced 1/2 inch thick
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. EVOO plus 2 tsp.
2 c. orecchiette
6 tsp. garlic paste, I used Amore brand (6 cloves can be substituted, minced)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan

1. In a large pot, boil salted water and then blanch rabe for about 3 minutes. Strain in colander and rinse well with very cold water. Coarsely chop.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper and then cook in EVOO at medium high heat until brown all over for about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3. In a large pot, boil salted water, add orecchiette and cook until al dente.
4. Heat remaining EVOO in skillet. Add garlic paste and red pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, being careful not to burn the paste. Add chicken broth and scrape any chicken bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan and cook until the broth is reduced two-thirds, about 5 minutes. Add the rabe and cook for about a minute.
5. Meanwhile, drain the pasta and add to the pan. Toss well. Serve on plates topped with Parmesan.

Buon appetito!

8 comments:

  1. this is such a barlettano dish! (minus the chicken). awesome! isn't it a great combo? a lot of crushed red and a drizzle of oil at the end makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! that looks fantastic, ill have to add this to my grocery list and whip it up sometime soon! xo jillian:: ps im hosting a judy kaufmann print giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great combination and Im totally going to try it. Hope you are having a great morning, sweetie
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks yummy! i've never tried it with chicken, only sausage so this is definitely a lighter option. i might cook this up this weekend...er next week. Ok, definitely sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually cook with broccoli rabe but this recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely one of my favorite things to order when I go out to eat! I've never made it at home, but I'll definitely be bookmarking your recipe!!! YUM! =)


    <3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh it's almost lunch and I'm drooling YUM - have to try this!!
    - Natalie
    www.thehotgluehangover.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious and I'm starving. Torture!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.