I went a little overboard eating this weekend. Celebrating two father's days can definitely make your pants tighter. But I also found French green lentils at Whole Foods on Saturday which are impossible to find in Salisbury. So I made up a healthy green lentil salad to take for lunch this week so I can get back on track.
This is best served warm but you can definitely make it in advance and it will last in the refrigerator for two to three days.
FRENCH GREEN LENTIL SALAD
makes 3 servings
1 1/4 c. French green lentils
1 bay leaf
2 large sprigs of oregano
2 Tbsp. EVOO
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. EVOO
1. Rinse the lentils.
2. Put lentils in medium saucepan and cover with about 4 inches of water. Add the bay leaf and oregano sprigs.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, season with salt, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Be sure not to overcook them.
4. While lentils are cooking, heat EVOO in a medium skillet and add carrots and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, stirring frequently. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and EVOO. Drain lentils and add to bowl along with carrots and onions. Add salt and pepper and combine. Remove bay leaf and sprigs.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.