5.5.11

for cinco de mayo: chicken fajitas

Ok so I am not sure if fajitas are considered Mexican - I think it may be considered more Tex-Mex. But I have been wanting to share this with you for awhile.

This is one of our favorite recipes. The Hubs and I created this recipe a few years ago when I was still in college but the Hubs had moved into an "adult" house. I got him a grill for our anniversary and we had a few times to use it together before I moved to France.

It has become a staple during the summer months, when tomatoes are at their best. We have a lot of people visit us during the summer since we live close to the beach. I make sure to marinate the chicken in advance and all I have to do when we get home is prep the fixins' while the Hubs grills the chicken. Our guests love it!

You can probably use a grill pan if you don't have a grill but I encourage you to try this on the grill if you can. I also encourage you to make this recipe your own. I normally use green and red peppers since I really like red peppers and the Hubs really likes green but if he wasn't around I would probably try orange and yellow peppers.

I try to marinate the chicken for at least 24 hours - the longer the better (without the chicken going bad, of course.) I would at least try to marinade it for at least 6 hours to get the flavors into the chicken.

CHICKEN FAJITAS
serves 3 - 4 people

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
EVOO, 1 cups
1 lime, juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalepano, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. EVOO
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1/2 lime, juiced
6 flour tortillas
optional: shredded cheese, guacamole (see recipe below), sour cream, pico de gallo (see recipe below), shredded lettuce

For the marinade: Combine first 7 ingredients in a Ziploc bag. Massage marinade into chicken. Put in fridge and let marinade for at least 24 hours, massaging the chicken every few hours (or whenever you open the fridge.)

1. Heat tablespoon of EVOO in a large pan. Add peppers to pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add onions to pan. Add some sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, depending on how crunchy or cooked you like your vegetables to be. Add lime juice to vegetables and toss.
2. While vegetables are cooking, grill chicken. Be sure to wipe off the marinade so it doesn't burn. Cooking time with depend on the size of the chicken breasts. When chicken is done, let it rest for 2 minutes. Then slice into fajita sized pieces.
3. Combine chicken, vegetables and fixins in flour tortilla. Fold bottom of tortilla and then both sides so nothing falls out.
Enjoy!

GUACAMOLE
I make guacamole a little different everytime. Sometimes I add red onions, sometimes I add chopped tomatoes, sometimes I add jalepanos. But this is the basic "bare bones" recipe I use when I am lazy. It really lets the avocado be the star.

1 avocado
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 c. cilantro, roughly chopped

Slice avocado in half. Take out the pit. Use a spoon to scoop the fruit into a bowl. Mash with a fork. Add lemon juice and cilantro and combine.

PICO DE GALLO
This is the reason we wait until the summer to make this recipe - we want the tomatoes to be at their best. I always make a bit extra so we can eat the leftovers with tortilla chips. This is normally the first thing I start, before the onions and peppers, so it has some time to marinade.

3 medium vine ripened tomatoes, diced
1/4 onion, finely chopped
1 jalepano, minced
1 lime, juiced
1/4 c. cilantro, roughly chopped

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

If you have a cinco de mayo post today, link up to cornflake dreams.

19 comments:

  1. thanks for linking up!! the fajitas look AHMAZING! i want them for dinner! xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm i am so making these this summer! (i love grilling so much!)
    great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest that Morgan makes the best chicken fajitas ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thanks alissa! i think you were the first "guest" we ever served these to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG YUMM! Thats looks absolutely delicious!

    http://jennaleelac.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazingly delicious! I love Cinco de Mayo! Mexican is my favorite cuisine! I just love tacos and guacomole! :)

    Feliz Cinco de Mayo! A Little Bit of This & That

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look yummy! Since I'll be working late on "cinco de drinko" I'll make these next week. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so hungry :) :) :)

    http://beautyaddicted.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it looks so yummy! I am definitely going to try your fajita recipe sometime! The only fajitas that I ever made were with those spice packets & they turn out horrible! Yours look SO good & delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from Jillian's link up. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This fajitas recipe sounds and looks so delicious:) I cant wait to try it:) Hugs and kisses, sweetie

    Ps: I’m hosting a stunning Sima Gilady jewelry GIVEAWAY today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummie! Definitely trying this one.
    Thanks for sharing.

    I am having Vivienne Westwood dress giveway on my blog, so enter if you like!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, these fajitas look delicious! Exactly what I am craving right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You two will have to show us how to make these when we come over! Hubbie and I have become addicted to Chipotle...remember the first time you took me there? :) These would be great to make at home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks SOOOO fresh and refreshing! and COLORFUL! A must in anything for me to eat it! hehe! =) Happy Cinco de Mayo new friend! mwah! so awesome to "meet" ya!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look heavenly!! Happy Cinco de Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Fajita" actually means flank steak in Spanish, and no one eats "fajitas" as a dish in Mexico. Sure, you might eat marinated flank steak with sauteed onions, peppers, guacamole, and cheese wrapped in a tortilla, but it wouldn't be "fajitas." "Chicken fajitas" is a whole 'nother story.

    Sorry: it was my better half, the Mexican Chef, coming through.

    Regardless, sounds delicious! Next time I'm in the mood for homemade Mexican I'll be trying this.

    les années folles

    ReplyDelete
  18. diana - that makes sense. i pretty much knew they weren't mexican. i actually did have chicken fajitas in a mexican restaurant in spain so i know they have them there.

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.