17.5.11

diy: chalkboard painted pots

First, let me tell you my story of herb growing. Two summers ago, in 2009, I decided to plant a few herbs in a box planter on our back patio. I was highly optimistic. It was my first summer out of college and I thought this would help with my grocery budget. The cilantro faded fast - I didn't know it was better suited for fall temperatures. But the other herbs soon followed suit despite everyday watering and, by the end of June, all of my herbs had dwindled to mere brown shadows of themselves.

Last summer, in 2010, I decided to try again. I would water in the morning and at night and when the weather got to be too much for them the bear, I would bring them inside. They grew very well in the spring and early summer and in the middle of July of thought it was time to bring them inside. And, oh, how smart I thought I was. About a week later, a few days before a load of guests were coming to Salisbury for my bridal shower, little black bugs started to crawl all over our walls and counters. Some flew and some could not. Others chose to climb walls and onto Peyton's food bowls. I soon found that they had infiltrated our cabinets and every time I went to make rice or couscous I had to throw it out finding a black speck here or there. My future husband blamed the herbs but I fought back and defended them. How could something so beautiful and delicious wreak havoc on our home like that? He put them outside anyways, where they soon died. Realizing that people would be stopping by the house the weekend of the shower, we threw out all opened food in our cabinets and vacuumed the bugs off of walls and our ceiling. We set out vinegar for those who could fly, hoping that would attract them to their death. Needless to say, this was no longer an option for the herbs.

So this year, I decided I would keep the herbs inside. They would not grow as fast or be as hearty but I could hopefully keep them alive and keep bugs out. And hopefully I could keep them much past the summer.

I thought the idea of using chalkboard paint on pots was such a genius idea until I bought a can of chalkboard paint that had a picture of a painted pot on the front. I knew I didn't want to paint the whole pot but struggled with the idea of whether to paint the whole bottom half or use some tape to paint a "label." In the end, my laziness won out with me not wanting to measure or tape for the labels. Besides, if I feel the need to "doodle" on the pots, I have plenty of room.
I didn't think I really needed to do a step-by-step for this. All you need is pots, chalkboard paint, a paintbrush, and some chalk. I made sure to wash the pots well before hand and gave them plenty of time to completely dry. Then I painted two layers of chalkboard paint. Since I was doing this outside on a hot day, I finished this in less than 30 minutes. The pots could have probably used three layers of paint but unless you get really close to them you can't tell the difference.
Do you grow herbs in the house? Have you ever used chalkboard paint? Any tips for growing inside?

Also, does anyone know what that white stuff is that is developing on the top of my oregano pot?

6 comments:

  1. that is amazing! this is the 2nd diy i've seen lately with chalkboard paint...i think the universe is trying to tell me i need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I might have to switch it up and put my herbs in something like this instead of directly in our beds. So inspired me!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a lovely idea & looks like they are growing fabulously :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! Anything that involves chalkboard paint is great in my book. And I can't grow to save my life. My herbs are store bought.

    xox Lexi
    Glitter & Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, LOVE these cute little herb pots you've labeled using chalkboard paint! I hope it's okay, I've featured your clever little herb pots in a round-up along with some other great chalkboard paint crafts and home decor projects. You can see it here:

    http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Clever-Crafts-Using-Chalkboard-Paint

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.