5.4.11

shrimp scampi

My mom used to make shrimp scampi with linguine to take to our Italian family reunions. It was one of my favorites. However, this isn't her recipe. I combined a bunch of different recipes in college and came up with this and, I have to say, it is rather yummy.

This time, I decided to make this healthier and used whole wheat linguine but I think I prefer regular linguine - it soaks up the sauce better. And really, with the amount of butter and wine in here, why treat this as a healthy dish anyways?

SHRIMP SCAMPI OVER LINGUINE
serves about 4 people

1 lb. linguine
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large shallot, diced
6 cloves garlic sliced (or sometimes i just smash them)
pinch red pepper flakes (according to taste)
20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Mediterranean salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 c. parsley, chopped

1. Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Add a bit of salt to the water and cook the linguine according to the directions on the box. Drain the pasta and reserve about a cup of water.
2. Meanwhile, in a pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Saute garlic, shallots and red pepper flakes until the shallots are translucent.
3. Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Cook until they are pink. Remove the shrimp from the pan and keep warm.
4. Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Add remaining oil and butter. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the pasta and reserved water. Toss with parsley.

Buon Appetito!

5 comments:

  1. I also love shrimp scampi and Balazs makes it in our home a lot! This recipe sounds fantastic. Happy Tuesday, sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge shrimp fan, but this looks dang good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the comment!

    This looks great. I'm a sucker for "clean" pastas. I love that you can barely see a sauce on this one. I'll be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I made this last night! Thanks for the dinner idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.