25.2.11

francophile friday: repetto

With all the ballerina trends out there thanks to Black Swan (which I really need to go see), I thought it would be fitting to talk about the French brand, Repetto, for today's francophile friday. Repetto started out as a ballet shoe company in 1947. They are said to be the first company to ever make ballet shoes. In the 50s, the brand reached cult status when it created the ballet flat for Brigitte Bardot. Although the company still makes shoes and uniforms for actual dancers, their company is best known for their street ballet flats (although they also make heels and oxfords too.)

All the shoes are handmade and take about 20 minutes to create each pair. Go watch the video of a shoe being made on their website - it's really very interesting. What is also great is that you can find a pair to go with any outfit as they come in a wide range of colors and their simplicity makes them very versatile.

I have heard that you should not try on a pair unless you have the cash. Because once you go Repetto you never go back. And all pairs are limited edition and once they are gone, they are gone. So don't even look at them (SHIELD YOUR EYES) unless you have the cash. But once you own them, if you take care of them, they will last you a very long time. (The website has a whole section on how to care for the shoes.)

I don't own a pair yet - and I don't plan to anytime soon as the price is a bit steep for me right now. Although, I guess I could write it off as an investment. They are a classic, non?

13 comments:

  1. I love the Repetto shoe line! And one day I WILL own a pair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always look when i don't have the cash, and then lament wildly and yearningly for weeks.

    http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to that ... i have made the mistake of looking at the Repettos without the cash

    ReplyDelete
  4. good idea erin! i always forget about ebay...

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. damn- guilty of looking and most definitely guilty of not having the cash. le sigh.

    http://litterulaemundano.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the name Repetto...reminds me of Gepetto, and he was a shoemaker, wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it ! It gives the sensation to fly in the air like a ballerina !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww..I love ballerina flats and the red pair is truly amazing. I must get them:) Hope you are having a great Sunday, darling
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! Great work.
    Greetings from Nice, France :-)
    Alex

    http://alltheprettylittlethings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ballet flats, but I'm looking away because I am broke.

    Great blog!

    xox
    Lexi @ http://glitterandpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a pair of Repetto flats in Seattle, brought them home to SC, wore them three times and then one side split wide open. My local shoe repairer says there isn't enough leather on the sides to properly tack back together and that I should return them. To Seattle? I am disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.