18.1.11

kitchen cabinet cookies

I am not very good at baking. I don't like measuring and I am not good at keeping an eye on something so it doesn't burn. That's why I like to cook. I don't feel the need to measure and I don't feel the need to follow a recipe exactly. But my recent pastry class gave me a little more confidence when it comes to basking. So when I came across this recipe for Trail Mix Freezer Cookies and realized I didn't have all the ingredients, I didn't fret. I just used what I had in my kitchen cabinet.

They came out really well! They are so yummy! I froze a few to save for later. Next time an impromptu guest arrives, I can have freshly baked cookies in a matter of minutes.



KITCHEN CABINET COOKIES
makes about 28 cookies

3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup flaked coconut (I used sweetened)
handful of semi-sweet chocolate chunks
handful of plain pecans, roughly chopped

1. Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix first 6 ingredients in bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until mixture is fluffy. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture until well combined. Fold in oats and coconut. Stir in chocolate and pecans.
3. Using a teaspoon and your hands, mold cookies into a sphere and put on baking sheet. Space dough about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake for about 13 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Either bake the remainder of the cookies or freeze them on a flat service and then put in freezer bags. To make after frozen, bake for about 16 minutes.

I want to try this with other combinations. Maybe with almonds and dried cranberries. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! these look delicious. i have a ton of stuff in my cabinet, i should try this one out. xoxo jcd http://cornflakedreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.