11.1.11

julie's flu chaser chicken soup

My friend, Julie, had been raving about this soup for awhile. It is has all of the immunity boosting foods that you need when you are sick. So when I came down with something during the summer, she brought some into work for me. It was one of the best chicken soups I had ever had - and it was great when I was sick. I froze the leftovers but I couldn't stay away. The Hubs and I defrosted it and had it for dinner a few days later. And the Hubs like it. He LIKED soup. Plus, he liked a soup WITH RICE. I knew I was going to have to make it again.

When the Hubs was sick last week, I told him I would make it for him. It costs about $20 to make (if you don't have the veggies and the chicken on hand) but you will have a ton of leftovers that you can freeze. I had bought two whole chickens at Sam's Club for almost nothing so this was from one that I had been in the freezer. The Hubs ate it almost everyday with, and sometimes instead of, dinner. I think we have a winner! WINNER, WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

JULIE'S FLU CHASER CHICKEN SOUP

makes 8 - 12 servings

3 - 4 heads of garlic
olive oil
1 whole chicken (about 5 pounds)
1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced (I used a yellow onion)
6 carrots, peeled and diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
12 cups of chicken broth (I used low-sodium)
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I used 3 lemons)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (I got it from the lemons from the juice)
2 Tbsp. chopped mint leaves or 2 tsp. dried
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger root
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 heaping cup of chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
kosher salt to taste
3 cups of cooked white or jasmine rice (I used brown jasmine rice. Cook it on the side an pour the soup over it.)

1. Preheat the oven 375 degrees. Cut off the top of each head of garlic. Cover a baking sheet with foil and put the garlic heads on top. Drizzle the heads with olive oil. You can either flip the garlic heads upside down or cover them with foil so they don't burn on top. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the cloves are soft, brown, and caramelized. Let cool and then squeeze out the garlic heads. Mash the cloves and set aside.

2. In a stock pot, place the chicken, onion, carrots, and celery. Pour the chicken broth over the chicken and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add mashed garlic cloves, lemon juice, ginger root, lemon zest, mint, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves.

3. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is very tender.

4. Remove chicken carefully and place on a plate to cool.

5. Remove soup from heat. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones and add meat back to the soup. Taste, adding more lemon juice or other spices to taste. Add basil, mint, and salt. Remove bay leaves.

6. If serving immediately, return to heat until heated through. Stir and serve over cooked rice.

Note: Can be frozen for up to three months. If you are freezing it for more than a few days, I would freeze rice and soup separately so the soup doesn't get cloudy and the rice doesn't get mushy.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This looks great! Is the Hubs a particularly picky eater?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't call him picky - he always tries new things. he just likes the same things over and over again. and he doesn't really like carbs (except for pizza) and he really likes meat. pretty much opposite of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it weird that I almost wish I had a teeny bit of a cold so I could enjoy this even more? From-scratch chicken soup is ALWAYS amazing, but it tastes even better when you're sick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! this looks great :) must try. im new to your blog-- now following! xoxo jcd
    http://cornflakedreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I don't eat meat, with something as scrumptious looking as that, I wouldn't deny making it for sick companions. :)

    xoxo,
    Dreaming of Palm Trees

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup sounds and looks awesome.I think this would be a great anytime soup not just when you aren't feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks great! i love the addition of mint

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum!

    http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.