14.4.10

bbq chicken pizza

During college, one of the students at my school started a late night pizza business that ran on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights from 10 pm until 1 am. He cooked pizza in the school's kitchen and, god, was it delicious (and cheap too!).

One of the best pizzas you could get was the bbq chicken pizza. I still get cravings. So I was looking through my Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade cookbook (which I have had for a year but have never opened) and I came across a recipe for bbq chicken pizza. I immediately knew how we would be eating our chicken this week.
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
from "Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade: cooking 2"

serves about 4 - 6
prep time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 12 minutes
baking time: 20 minutes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound chicken tenders
2/3 cup barbecue sauce
all-purpose flour for dusting
1 package (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza dough
1 cup mozzarella cheese
3/4 Gouda shredded Gouda cheese
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add the chicken tenders and saute until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. When chicken is cool enough to handle, chop chicken. In a small bowl, toss chicken with 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce. Set aside.
3. On a flour-dusted surface, roll out pizza dough to fit a greased 15x10x1-inch sheet pan; place on pan. Shape dough to fill pan. Spread remaining barbecue sauce evenly over pizza dough. Sprinkle cheese, onion, and chicken over sauce.
4. Bake about 20 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

Note 1: I had chicken breasts so I used chicken breasts instead of chicken tenders.
Note 2: I couldn't find the Pillsbury dough that I use when I don't have homemade dough, so I used a pre-baked thin wheat crust that was really delicious. I found it in the pasta aisle.
Note 3: I didn't have Gouda cheese so I didn't use it but I definitely want to try it next time.
Note 4: I think next time I am going to try making homemade bbq sauce. Yum!

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.