8.2.10

super bowl birthday cake

Since the FH was out of town for his birthday, we decided to have some people over for the super bowl (despite the blizzard) and have a little birthday cake. The FH has always liked the colts so I attempted to make him a birthday cake, Colts style.

It turned out decent - I just wish I had made my decorative icing little stiffer.
I am not much of a baker so I just used a yellow cake box mix. I made the chocolate icing from scratch, though, from a recipe I found in the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It is very stiff which made it an ideal canvas for decorating. I like it because it is not super sweet. Give it a try if you like...

EUROPEAN CHOCOLATE ICING
about 2/3 cups
from the "Joy of Cooking" cookbook

I doubled the recipe to cover the cake and fill in between the layers.

1 Tbsp of butter
4 oz. semisweet chocolate
6 Tbsp of whipping cream
about 1 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler.
2. When chocolate and butter is melted, add and beat in whipping cream.
3. Add, until desired sweetness is reached and icing is smooth, confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
4. Spread while warm.

* You don't need an expensive double broiler from the store. Make one yourself with a glass bowl (that is oven safe such as Pyrex) that is significantly bigger than the pot you are going to use. Boil a small amount of water in a pot (make sure the boiling water won't touch the bowl). Then melt your chocolate and butter in the glass bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.