The chicken recipe is something I came up with for the FH and I after looking at a bunch of different recipes. I was craving black beans but the FH doesn't really like beans. He doesn't mind eating some, though, as long as they aren't the main course. The black bean salsa recipe is enough to top the chicken as well as to use later for quesdillas.
SPICED RUBBED CHICKEN WITH BLACK BEAN SALSA
3 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp sea salt
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 pinches cayenne pepper (or less if you don't like spicy)
2 chicken breasts
1/2 black bean salsa recipe
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix first six ingredients in a bowl.
3. Rub both sides of chicken with spice mixture.
4. Pan sear both sides of chicken until golden brown.
5. Transfer to an oven safe dish (unless your skillet is oven safe) and bake until chicken is cooked through.
6. Top with black bean salsa (recipe below).
BLACK BEAN SALSA
2 15 oz. cans of black beans
4 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion diced
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp chili powder
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
BLACK BEAN QUESADILLAS
4 whole-wheat burrito tortillas
shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 black bean salsa recipe (after marinated for one or two days)
1. Top 2 tortillas with some shredded cheddar cheese depending on how much cheese you like. (Make sure not to put cheese all the way to the edges since the tortillas will shrink when they get hot and you don't want the cheese running out.)
2. Split the black bean salsa between the two tortillas and then top with more cheese.
3. Place another tortilla on top of both tortillas.
4. Place them in a skillet on medium and heat the tortillas through so that the cheese is melted and holds the two tortillas together. Flip once with a spatula.
5. Let the tortillas cool for about three minutes so that the cheese sets. Cut with a pizza cutter.